“enjoyable” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Gazzetta - CLOSED

La Gazzetta
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Bercy / Nation
Description: RESTAURANT After his trade with major Italian and European Chefs VALERIO UGLIANO put his pots and knives in Paris. He arrived with his second ILARIA and his sommelier MASSIMILIANO. VALERIO UGLIANO , Chef of the Gazzetta, is a young representative of the new Roman dining scene, that navigates between tradition and personal expression and gives a Italianness to the best French products, while leaving the spotlight to the likes of the kitchen trattorias. WINES An old Sicilian winemaker who Massi - our bartender and sommelier - explained what wine "nature" is (from vines conducted in bio without synthetic product without adding chemical, in manual harvest), had this surprised answer : - so, "wine" nature ", it is wine ... Normal! no ? " In his small piece of land north of Catania, he had never done otherwise. At the Gazzetta, we are serving what we like to drink: wine that leave pride to their terroir and personality of the artisans who produce them. To stick with the best kitchen Valerio, no sectarianism on the origin, when it's good, that's enough! : Italy of course, but also France, Spain, Greece, Serbia. The wine list changes to the rhythm of the menu of Valerio, it means ... very often!
Seattle
“enjoyable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Our one dinner here was very good, and they adjusted to a request for vegetarian food without difficulty. We did the 5-course meal, which was plenty to eat. Great bread. Service was friendly and accommodating. Expect new and unusual flavors, and the possibility that not every dish will click: this is an adventure. Reserve.

• Visited July 2012

New York
“Be prepared for the unusual”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Diners here can choose between a 5-course or a 7-course dinner, with seasonal ingredients presented in totally new ways. Be prepared to find nettles or something quite unexpected on your plate--always delicious, but potentially intimidating to some. Stylish but comfortable atmosphere, very popular with the young professionals of the 12th arr.

Visited May 2012
edinburgh
“Service Siberia”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

Hard to know where to begin...how about with high hopes? I had written about the Le Fooding movement from afar (well Edinburgh), so I was looking forward to sampling it first hand. Baratin was full and Chateaubrand had a private party so, as the chef here is Scandinavian and I love Noma, it was an easy choice. We chose the 5 course tasting menu (42 euros). First up was one (cold) green aparagus spear and the runny yolk of a boiled egg, scattered around were some entrirely superflous edible flowers. A dish of cold boiled potatoes, seaweed, 2 or 3 tiny shards of crispy bacon, and (I think) a fine dice of green rhubarb about the size of a flea, followed. Both were ill-considered. The next dish described itself as 'Asperge blanc, lotte et anethe'. So, asparagus again but I wasn't vexed as white asparagus ia an all together different beast than it's green cousin. The monkfish (beautifully cooked) and aniseed were in place but instead of a burly spear of white asparagus, I had (another) woebegone spear of overcooked green. A surreal argument ensued where the waiter and chef (from afar) tried to convince me that white asparagus often looked very 'green'! Absolute bollocks and a shameful subterfuge. At this point we noticed that the drinks we had ordered an hour before hadn't arrived but it was impossible to do anything about this as the waiting staff, after the farrago mentioned above, abrogated all responsibility and ignored our table for the next hour. (9.10pm till after 10pm - I know this because I was trying to catch the second half of the Chelsea v Barca game!) I eventually, literally, after an hour, had to go and collar a waiter. "Are you ignoring us because of my single complaint?" He said they had lost our check. "But you haven't lost your eyes, we have been sitting for an hour with our table completely cleared and tables all around us have been fed three courses." He merely shrugged, "I'll get your dessert, quickly." He did, it was superb. No drinks, sleight of hand with ingredients and a sort of no service 'sent to Siberia' for an hour. "I told you we should have eaten simply," said The Silent Assassin. For once, only once mind, she was right.

• Visited April 2012
3 Thank William G
Haifa, Israel
“Good Food but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

The food was good but some dishes need more attention
For example, the Cod fish was amazing, but the Chicken was a bit dry.
The service was really bad. We think it was because they need more waiters.
We wait for 20 minutes to take our plates after we finished the first course.
I would give them 4 stars if the service is better next time.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Tal B
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Wonderful Find on New Year's Eve”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

My wife and I happened upon La gazetta because we were were in the neighborhood and our other New Year's plans fell through. the staff was very gracious, seating us even though we did not have reservations and we we were not really dressed for such a festive evening. We had a delicious 5 course prix fixe meal that was excellent. We were particularly impressed by the staff, which provided wonderful service throughout the meal. Definitely a great experience and I would heartily recommend this restaurant.

• Visited December 2011