“Very nice staff and good food”

Les Jardins de Shah Jahan
Reserve with
Save up to 30% when you reserve online *
Les Jardins de Shah Jahan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,145 of 17,300 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Stockholm, Sweden
“Very nice staff and good food”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

They actually changed my mood from bad to good, when we arrived (after the Metro was closed and the busses didn't go the same way + we got lost on the way). The food is good, even though maybe not as spicy as some indian restaurants (could be that they are from northern India and the further south you go in India the spicer the food gets), but the flavours was there for me (fish tikka masala). Next time I'll try a starter, since the deserts we ordered wasn't very good (mixed fruit sallad was caned fruit, a couple of banana slices was fresh though and I had very nice looking pastery, but it wasn't really my type of desert, I should have taken the Kulfi, that I like). Good food and super friendly staff, that's the bottom line ^_^

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Micke K

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Great service, lovely food”
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Excellent attentive service. We all enjoyed the food although nothing was particularly spicy. The staff were great, one waiter even walked us to the nearest metro station after the meal, which was really thoughtful. Nice touches like complimentary drinks. Nice to see a more residential side to Paris away from all the tourists. Definitely recommended!!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank JC46_11
Sevres, France
“Have a try if you are not too demanding!”
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

I am used to eating great Indian food but I was a bit disappointed here with the flavours. To a non-used palate, everything looks good and tasty but the rice in the biryani was sticky, the meat a bit too cooked and the paratha was not one. And it was a bit expensive. The restaurant might suit well French locals as the interiors are lovely and away from the Montparnasse touristic area but I would not recommend it to people searching for genuine North Indian food. Anyway, it could be an experience in trying!

1 Thank Pupilsmarques07
New Delhi, India
“Excellent indian food!”
Reviewed May 19, 2012

We totally loved the food, and yes, we are from north-india!

The rogan josh was amazing, and the naans were lovely as well. Totally worth it. Service was very nice as well.

Visited June 2011
1 Thank bhaskie
Miami Beach, Florida
“EXCELLENT INDIAN FOOD AND OUTSTANDING VALUE FOR MONEY IN PARIS”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Want to have an excellent lunch in Paris for 16 Euros plus wine in a real restaurant with real tablecloth, real napkins and real silverware? Then rush to “Les Jardins de Shan Jahan” on 179, rue de Vaugirard, 75015 Paris, a few yards from “Métro Pasteur”.

I discovered this restaurant in October 1994, when I was still teaching French to French natives in “Great Paris”, one day that I went to consult my usual specialists for preventive medicine at the MGEN, the Professors’ clinic a couple of blocks from it.

In that year, the lunch set menu was an outstanding 55 francs ($10 US) for three courses plus wine, served in real dishes in a real restaurant with tablecloth, not plastic table mats.

I have returned several dozen times in the past 18 years to this great place, every time I go back to the MGEN (three times a year) for a free preventive round of appointments with my usual rheumatologist, endocrinologist, ophthalmologist, ORL, dermatologist and cardiologist… I was invited to four TV programs in Miami in 2011 and I explained how it works. One of those programs about the French health care can be seen in the Internet.

On my last trip, during FIU Spring Break (we can no longer say “Easter” Break…) in March 2012, I had lunch again at this Indian restaurant and I paid 16 Euros for the second set menu (the first one is even cheaper!), which is my favorite.

I always have a Chicken salad with several big pieces of Chicken Tikka as a starter, followed by a “Butter Chicken” with Basmati rice AND a Cheese Nan included in the price, plus a good ice cream (but they also have Indian rice pudding). Then, I just had to add “un quart de rouge” (1/4 of red wine but there is also white and rosé for the same price: 4 Euros). Total paid: 20 € with tip included, but I always leave an extra 2 € tip. Last month, that converted to under $30 US. But remember, this is not a Burger King in Ocala, Florida but a real restaurant in Paris, France!

Since nonsmokers managed to impose their will in France, like in the US, (and also in Uruguay, where I also go three times a year!) I no longer have my espresso in restaurants unless they have an open terrace, which is not the case in here, unfortunately. So I walk a few yards back to Boulevard Pasteur and have it at a corner café on a street table, where I can light my Cuban cigar that you can buy at every corner all over the world, except in the USA!

Then, I walk a few blocks on Rue de Vaugirard down to Boulevard du Montparnasse, turn right and two blocks later I am in the heart of Montparnasse.

Two metro lines take you there: line 6 from Place de la Nation to Charles De Gaulle via Denfert-Rochereau (see my review about LUX HOTEL Boulevard de Picpus, in the Nation area, posted in Trip Advisor) and also line 12, going from “Mairie d’Issy” to “Porte de la Chapelle”. Get off at “Metro Pasteur” and walk a few yards on Rue de Vaugirard towards the North (just follow the traffic flow of this one way street). The restaurant is about twenty yards from Boulevard Pasteur, on your right, next to a hotel.

Every time I go for lunch, whatever the day of the week, this place is full by 12:30. Isn’t that the very best reference for a restaurant?

Excellent food, good service (sometimes better than others, it is true, but don’t forget that they are always full) and OUTSTANDING VALUE FOR MONEY make of this place an excellent choice for those who like Indian food.

• Visited March 2012