“Disappointing - we were too early for brunch”

Au Rocher de Cancale
Ranked #3,069 of 17,155 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Opera / Bourse
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Disappointing - we were too early for brunch”
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I chose Au Rocher De Cancale because I love Rue Montogueil, and I was looking for a brunch, not just a croissant. Its website promises brunch from 10am, but once I'd ordered a coffee, I then was told 'midi'. The need to update their website!
It is also undergoing external restorations, so it's lacking charm just now (Nov 2011).
Coffee was nice though.

• Visited November 2011

Argyll and Bute, United Kingdom
“Weekly changes of staff means poor service”
Reviewed June 21, 2011

I know the menu better than most of the staff people chase the staff around the restaurant just to pay their bills

Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Terrible food despite Lonely Planet recommendation”
Reviewed June 5, 2011

My father and I ate here last week as the place had been recommended in the last 2 Lonely Planet city guides.
We had a lovely little table outside and were happy until the food arrived.
My fathers steak was very very chewy and almost inedible- possibly stewing or some other very cheap cut. My moules marinieres had the tiniest ever seen mussels in the shells, quite a disgrace and the accompanying chips were soggy.
For the price the value was not seen at all.
The waitress asked how our food was and I explained in school girl French. She was not interested at all and just walked off.
How very sad to have such a disgrace of a restaurant serving up cheap food but at 15-20 Euros per dish price.
It ruined our evening. I would advise all visitors to avoid this place if you are after a decent Parisian cuisine experience.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank Justybaby
Los Angeles, California
“Crowded cafe, on beautiful rue Montorgueil”
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Recommended cafe from our hotel's website on beautiful rue Montorgueil. The cafe is very old from the outside which gives it character. The outdoor seats were full of smokers so we headed inside for one of the last tables available for lunch. A very small table crowded very near other guests. I had the fish with mashed potatoes and caramelized onions and my wife had the veal kabobs with rice and green beans. The fish was thin and flat but fresh although too salty as was the caramelized onions. My wife's veal was good with a nice dipping sauce and her rice and green beans were good as well. We ordered a house wine (Rose) which wasn't fruity or sweet. Our waiter gave us decent service but he seemed more interested in talking with his friends outside than paying attention to his customers. He was also very rude with one of the waitresses. We liked our meal overall but didn't care for the crowded dining conditions and dealing with the rude waiter and all the smoke that came in the open windows and door.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“soso very nice rock nice...”
Reviewed December 13, 2007

soso very nice rock nice wateress;o)

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook