“This is how it should be done”

Les Grandes Marches
Ranked #4,241 of 17,515 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bastille / Oberkampf
Description: Brasserie "Les Grandes Marches" is right by the Opéra Bastille and has been through a seriously befitting update since the new owner took over in the summer of 2012.The lounge spirit is out and the hallmark composed class and lighting that define great brasseries is back. The Art Deco influence is undeniable and the spirit intertwines with the Opera and its "grandes marches" (great steps) that gave this establishment its name. Once you step into Les Grandes Marches, the word that comes to mind is serenity. You leave the Bastille's hustle and bustle behind, loosen up and take your time to enjoy life on the handsome, firm, fleshy benches and watch the waiters' ballet among the curving and broken lines around the room – starting with the curving grand staircase that smacks of a tux-and-tie dinner on a transatlantic liner.
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Classic French hospitality, traditional cuisine and lovely ambience. However what topped it all was the service, this is how it should be. We decided to have the fixed menu, kir royale, fois gras, rump steak pepper sauce, French cheeses, pistachio pana cotta and coffee all for 35 euro per head. Including a bottle of wine. For central Paris with a view of the Bastille monument this represented exceptional value for money, we will certainly go back and if you enjoy great service coupled with great good then put this on your food bucket list

There are newer reviews for Les Grandes Marches

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Keep the Chefs & Fire the Waiters!
Last Friday at 18.30 I went with a friend, an hour before the start of the opera next door. We had only one dish each and yet had to dash next door with only minutes to spare - having told the waiter on arrival we would need prompt service. Once we were seated with the menu card, we had to wait 10 minutes for anybody to take our order. Then another 10 minutes for the food to arrive - incomplete. I had ordered a plate of cheese with a complimentary glass of Port but had to ask 3 waiters for my port. Eventually it came, by now I'd started eating the cheese as we'd have to leave soon. Very disappointing, such good cheese (5 amazing combinations) but having to eat it dry. Of course, had to wait for the bill. Paid in cash and had to wait another 10 minutes, and stop 2 waiters to ask for our 20 Euro change.
It completely ruined the meal, which is a shame as their kitchen is clearly in a different league to their front of house management.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

This restaurant next to the Bastille Opera House has classy service and fabulous food. From the time you sit down your coats are whisked away and the wait staff are attentive without rushing you.

We started with a degustation of oysters which was to die for, followed with a steak for my husband which he declared was one of the best ever, I had Duck....... tender melt in your mouth with a crispy skin. Creme Brûlée was a perfect finish.

Inside it is quiet, with a great view of the Bastille Monument and all the activity. Definitely recommend.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Next door to Bastille Opera with plenty of outdoor seating bistro style. I came for dinner and chose to sit inside. Nice ambiance, great lighting, great efficient service. The duck leg with scalloped potatoes was delicious, as was the French onion soup. My wine glass was never empty, the bread basket refilled, the bread crumbs cleaned from the table. My only gripe from this experience was when I saw a waiter open a packet of sugar, empty it into his palm and sprinkle it into a champagne glass with his bare hands to get the bubbles going before serving it to an unknowing customer. I brought his attention to it and he was very apologetic, but the deed was done. Otherwise great.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Right off the Bastille this restaurant serves a very delicious breakfast that is second to none. The service was efficient and attentive. The food was top notch and the coffee was gourmet level. I would definitely recommend and retuern.