“Fantastic”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Montparnasse
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went to this restaurant for dinner on a Thursday night after looking up tripadvisor. We arrived at 6.30-7pm which is reasonable dinner time in NZ - but apparently not in France! The doors were shut but the owner kindly let us and another couple in.
In the end we were very grateful for having come this early - as this meant we could have the menu explained and take our time. The owner was very patient with us and explained the dishes, wines etc.
There is an English menu which was very welcome - and we each had a starter/main/dessert for approx 25 euros!
The food was lovely - with huge portions which were sadly hard to finish. The restaurant filled up rather quickly and soon there were people being turned away.

I would recommend going early to ensure some time to peruse the menu properly. Would definitely go again.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

This small and very cosy restaurant is just across the street from the flat we rented in 14'eme, and well worth the trip if you are based in central Paris. In that case, take the metro to Alésia, walk back towards town on Avenue de Maine and find Rue de la Sablière on your left, a few hundred metres along.
The food is simple, very well prepared and reasonably priced. The service is informal and very friendly, and there was hardly a tourist when we were there. Unfortunately, the restaurant closed for Holidays after our first two visits. Otherwise, we would have come back!

Reviewed April 20, 2013

This was found by a recommendation from our hotel. Seemed to be a bit of a walk but looking at trip advisor was what we wanted. On arrival we were greeted warmly and the ambiance of this small restaurant charming. Wooden walls, a huge chrome coffee machine dominated the front desk, lots of posters to keep the eye interested. The menu was full of choice, three courses for 34€. I had a goose rillete starter then rabbit in a mustard sauce.... Delicious.... The others choose a mixed vegetable salad and a chicory salad with blue cheese for their starter. The beef casserole recommended by another looked and reported as being delicious too. The salmon in comparison seemed a lighter choice served with salad and green beans. We all just loved the place, the owner served us and was very patient with us and made every effort to make us comfortable. As also reported before the desserts are wonderful but we didn't leave enough space... The fromaige frais is so good it must be bad for you. Pear tart I'm told was absolutely wonderful pear in a frangipan encruste in pastry whilst our friend had chocolate cake with salted caramel ice cream - had to taste that too. Mmmmmmmmmm. The house red wine was also very palatable one 50cl carafe was just not enough between the only two wine drinkers. If we get the chance we will go back but time is limited so maybe not this trip.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I went there as per my hotel recommendation and I was not dissapointed! The husband and wife which runs the restaurant makes it vey causy and hommy, you feel transported in a world with all the decorarion which blends perfectly! The husband is a butcher therefore he prepares meat in a perfect manner and the wife does the desserts! Delicious! I remember having the "paté de campagne" as an entree and the whole pate arrived at the table with sweet pickle and bread ( of course) and we could ate whatever we like out of the plate, it really impressed me! For the prize it was really cheap compare to all the other restaurant in Paris! I stayed in Paris 5 nights and ate 2 times at that restaurant!

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I went here with my girlfriend in February 2012. I had the beef casserole which was outstanding, the meat was so tender, and the inclusion of olives in the dish was surprisingly delicious. My girlfriend had a steak, which was also excellent (good quality meat and cooked well too). On top of that we grabbed a cheese board and a creme caramel. The girlfriend really enjoyed the creme caramel, the bread and cheese was excellent (although the strong blue cheese was perhaps a bit beyond our inexperienced palettes). The waitstaff didn't appear to speak English (the place seemed to be loaded with locals) but they provided an English menu for us and we ordered without any hassle. I can't remember the exact price, except that it was cheap - somewhere around the 30 euro mark for both of us - 2 mains, 2 desserts and 2 soft drinks. Overall, fantastic experience; planning to return soon.

1  Thank LeDagMan