“Friendliest restarurant in Paris”
Review of AU VIEUX COMPTOIR

AU VIEUX COMPTOIR
Ranked #564 of 17,407 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Les Halles
Barcelona, Spain
“Friendliest restarurant in Paris”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Food is great, wine list is diverse and fairly priced, and the hostess makes you feel more than welcome. An unusual combination in Paris. This restaurant with its changing menu and very good wine list would be fine on its own. However the friendly, vivacious, and always cheerful hostess makes the difference. She gives the restaurant an energy and homey feeling in an otherwise grumpy city. Always a pleasure and it has yet to disappoint us (and we live in Paris).

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank Pedralbes74

Argyll and Bute, United Kingdom
“disappointing”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

after so many great reviews we had to try this place, service is very odd, you get menus and asked in 30seconds if you've chosen but then when you haven't it's 10 minutes before the waitress reappears. For starters we ordered the sardines and pigs feet. Sardine tin tipped upside down onto the plate which meant it was swimming in oil, sardines were quite good but not exactly due to the chef's skill. Pigs feet were supposed to be crispy but had obviously been cooked sometime before so were just soggy. The main of black pudding was just too big and should have come with something to cut thru the richness, like an apple puree. Pork chop was okay if a little fatty and uninspired but the potatoes it came with were close to raw, left all those but the owner didn't even question why....just got upset when we decided not to order dessert or cheese.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank Steviem71
Halifax
“Really wanted to like this place...but...”
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Au Viex Comptoir came highly recommended by my partner, a Parisienne, who had eaten here before. With the combination of her's and the very favourable reviews on Trip Advisor, I was sure I was destined for a wonderful lunch on a recent Saturday afternoon. Sadly, this was not the case.
I really wanted to love the place - the ambiance is lovely - classic, unchanged over the years, 'lived in' tables and chairs, meals served in individual cast iron pans, and details like the heavy cotton napkins bound with engraved wooden wings bearing the name of the restaurant.
We were seated in a very nice corner table, away from the foot traffic of the otherwise bustling room - everything seemed perfect...
We decided to forego starters and have mains and desserts - my partner ordered the saucisse de Morteau with aligot (Morteau sausage with creamy whipped potatoes with cheese) and me a pork chop covered in a reduction of some sort with whipped potatoes (exact french name escapes me).
Hers was satisfactory, not a huge portion for the 18 euros - three rounds of sausage set atop mashed potatoes. My meat was cold in the middle - not as though it hadn't been cooked enough and the centre was raw, but as though it had been precooked (who knows when) and not reheated enough. My little pan of whipped potatoes wasn't even very hot. I took several bites and wasn't pleased, so sent it back to the kitchen. In the mean time my partner finished her meal rather than let it get cold. My meal arrived once again, the same piece of meat, still not terribly hot - I think they may have fired it in a microwave for a few seconds. I ate it, not very happily, as my partner watched.
We decided to stop the bleeding - forgot about dessert and asked for the bill. No apologies, no dessert on the house and a rather large bill for lunchtime, two mains, no drinks at over 40 euros.
I understand that everybody has an off day, and a Saturday lunch shift could have been exactly that, an 'OFF' day for the chef. Bottom line, although I'd really like to, I can't recommend this place, there are far better, less expensive places in the city that are trying harder for business than serving cold food without apologies.

• Visited January 2012
3 Thank Elbogarto
“Can't wait to return.”
Reviewed January 12, 2012

The atmosphere at this restaurant makes you love Paris and appreciate it for what it is. The food at this restaurant is amazing with its special potato gratin on the side. With delicious desserts to top it off. I've been to this restaurant a few times with my family and each time it has been exceptional.

1 Thank KDStepho
Athens, Greece
“Near to our hotel..”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We stayed at Hotel Louvre Rivoli...Very nice but pricey food, for a very small bistrot... And it didn't have the best cuisine...

Visited October 2011