“Favorite restaurant in Paris”
Review of Le 14 Juillet

Le 14 Juillet
Reserve a table
Wed, 7/28
8:00 PM
Ranked #610 of 18,699 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: 14th Arr. - Observatoire
Reviewed April 10, 2017 via mobile

Great food at reasonable prices with a welcoming feeling. Over multiple trips, Le 14 Juillet has become my favorite Paris neighborhood restaurant. Small, not pretentious and very friendly with a fantastic lamb dish for 2-3 and many other excellent dishes. Be prepared to have your photo taken to be added to their film of smiling diners!

Date of visit: April 2017
Write a reviewReviews (539)

Reviewed February 21, 2017 via mobile

I and my partner were looking for a place to have lunch on a sunny Sunday when we decided to follow a friend's suggestion and try this typical brasserie situated in the heart of the 14th arrondissement. What a pleasant surprise!
If it could seem a bit anonymous from the outside, once inside the restaurant reveals its cosy atmosphere of a typical French bistrot. The staff was really friendly and the food was great. As we sat down, a waiter brought us some free salami and the menù. After a quick look at the tempting dishes we decided to try 2 starters: I had 'croustillant de chèvre frais, miel et menthe' (crispy fried goat cheese with honey and mint) and my girlfriend took 'Napolitain d'aubergine, chèvre et tomate' (Neapolitan aubergine with goat cheese and tomatoes). I also ordered a main dish and following our waiter's suggestion I took the dish of the day (I don't remember the French name but it was basmati rice with shrimps). He told me that was 'très très bon' and he was right: it was delicious, the taste was amazing and the fish was really fresh!
Finally, we decided to share a dessert. In particular, we took "LA profiterole": a gigantic bignè filled with ice cream and covered with melted chocolate... so good!

Summarising, we had a lovely lunch (2 starters, 1 main, 1 dessert) and 2 glasses of white wine (Chardonnay) for a reasonable price (around 50€). The staff was very attentive and I can only recommend this restaurant!

Ps a funny note: the menu is written on blackboards that waiters bring to the customers

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed November 24, 2016

we hoped to dine in a restaurant that offered typical french eating and were not disappointed. The whole experience was top class, from the service we received, to the fare served to us.
A tad expensive possibly, but probably on par with prices you will have to pay when you visit Paris.

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed November 3, 2016

I first visited Le 14 Juillet with my family in 2000. It was 15 years later that I visited Paris again, and my wife and I had a most pleasant dinner. The older review will cover this. This time we were in the area for lunch.

We started with a layered eggplant, tomato, goat cheese dish. The plate was decorated with drops of balsamic vinegar and a basil-infused olive oil. The combination was quite delightful. This was followed by duck confit with roasted potatoes, which was also very good. The two courses together qualified for the lunch special and so this combo was 14 Euros per person, an absolute bargain. Back home in Berkeley, you would pay two or three times this amount. We ordered the same 2007 Saint Estephe that we had had a year or so earlier, and it was still delightful, and if I had it in my own cellar I would age it for a few more years before trying another bottle. It has a lot of life left in it.

Overall, another very pleasant meal. I am glad to see the restaurant is popular with a wide spectrum of customers as it makes it likely that it will still be operating the next time we return to Paris.

Date of visit: November 2016
1  Thank Andreas G
Reviewed October 28, 2016

This great restaurant is near Porte Varnes Flea Market. We were there on a Sunday and loved this small, friendly place with great food. For starters, our waitress, Jennifer, went over every item on their blackboard menu - explaining what was in EVERY dish. Exceptional. Our grandson Drew had beef tartare, I had the chicken special and Donna had a salad with eggs and chicken. We had dessert too and Jennifer brought over a free glass of Bordeaux wine. Nice touch. BTW, we found 14 through Yelp. It was rated with two euros and four stars - inexpensive with good quality!

Date of visit: June 2016