“For a little something different” 4 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Louvre / Palais-Royal
san francisco
“For a little something different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Our apartment was on this block and we wanted a little something different. Cute restaurant with only about 8 tables, price fix was so reasonable, 26euro, three courses. We tried all three main courses and we liked them all, way too much food though. It started with a wonderful thai beef salad with 4 fried appetizers, i thing two egg rolls and two meat balls of some kind. We had the sliced pork roast, cashew chicken and shrimp in a coconut milk, all were good. The only negative was the desert, don't know what it was and didn't like it much, but we were so full that we didn't care. Call ahead, lots of folks turned away

• Visited September 2013

• Korean first
Paris, France
“OK but nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Was expecting better but was neither really good nor poor. With such a limited menu choice (1 starter and 3 main dishes) and relatively high cost I would have expected something better but quite honestly there are equal if not better Thai restaurants in the area.
The starter and main were good but the desert was definitely not prepared in the restaurant and bought in frozen....
Wine list was good and service very professional although not much atmosphere in the place.

• Visited October 2013
USA
“Little treasure in an interesting neighborhood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I had dinner with friends in the restaurant. It is at 39 Rue Montpensier, a street that can be somewhat difficult to find. The best way is to enter through the Place du Palais Royal, next to the Comedie Francaise, currently under construction. The Jardin du Palais Royal is lined on each side by fashion boutiques. The park has benches and wonderful Magnolia trees. It is worth to come earlier during the day to spend time in the park. Rue the Monpensier runs alongside the Park on the left side. It is a very quiet street. Baan Kanya is located almost at the end of it.
We arrived around 7:15PM had a reservation. The restaurant is below street level, there are steps leading downstairs directly from the street. The restaurant is small but has a great ambiance. Simple decor, nothing flathy. The service, food presentation and quality are very good. The portions are not enournous, just right to taste a variety of Thai food. By 8PM the restaurant filled up, there was not one empty table. We left around nine, there were several people waiting to be seated. You should definitely make a reservation even during the week. We were there on a Tuesday. I saw severall other restaurants on Rue Montpensier, just in case.

We had a great time and I will certaily return to this restaurant next time in Paris.

• Visited April 2013
Monkstown, Ireland
“Worst service I've ever had in Paris, food ok but too little”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

We went here after reading reviews on cityvox, the restaurant is on a charming street and the vaulted cellar is very charming. Access to the front door was constrained by a big skip full of beer bottles, but after squeezing through we were in. We were seen to our table quite quickly and looked at the menu which was a fixes entrée/amuse bouche, a choice of 4 mains and a fixes desert, the price was about 28€. We ordered relatively quickly and started to settle in. my 1st complaint about this restaurant are the tables. Firstly, they are tiny, they are round tables, roughly the size of the ones one would have in a French terrace when having an aperitif, too small for dining. I could see this causing problems all around, frequently the sound of dropping cutlery was heard. New problem is the tables swivel and if you but your elbows n them they sink, very disconcerting, the sinking made it hard to relax and chat and the swivel meant that while eating an errant push with the for would make the whole table turn, I find it interesting that this was not mentioned in other reviews, as I could see a number of people having difficulties with it.

We had 2 waitresses, one older and pleasant and another younger and impolite. When setting the table the impolite waitress smashed a glass by smashing one off another, it was really a result of too much force and not enough care. Possibly the overly small table also. After waiting and chatting for about 45 minutes she came over to us and asked if we'd had our entrees yet. We were starting to get worried, obviously forgotten about. After about 50 minutes our entrees arrived, 2 prawns with salad in a shot glass, and 4 small amuse bouches. It was eaten in less than 5 minutes. We awaited our main course, my wife is pregnant and can suffer a little if she's overly hungry. After being in the restaurant 1 hour and 15 minutes we were really starting to wonder where our main course, after 1 hour and a half my wife asked again, shortly after I complained and we then decided after spending 1 hour and 40 minutes in the restaurant that we would leave, shortly after our main courses arrived, unfortunately after al this time waiting our main course was 3 prawns on the shell with a sweet and sour sauce and rice, totally inadequate for the amount of time we were waiting.

The food when it eventually did arrive was good, but I would advise going to this restaurant only if you are not at all hungry and would like to nibble some food, however the service in this restaurant was so shockingly bad I would advise to avoid! During our waiting my wife started to feel cold as there was a draught from an open window behind her, she asked if they could close it, the response "I would have to climb up a little to reach it", the waitress then walked away. We had to swap seats and it was ok, but to be honest the staff in this restaurant couldn't care less about the comfort of their customers.

In 14 months living in Paris this night was the worst service I have ever received, Baan Kanya will stay in my memory only for this. They did realise that we did not receive good service due to our multiple enquiries as to where our food was, but nothing other than a "sorry about the delay" when our mains arrived was offered.
I definitely will not be back!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank rejoyce1976
Vitoria, ES
“Lovely restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2009

I and my wife were walking around Louvre area looking for a restaurant and found this amazing Thai restaurant. It was almost 3:00PM, and the waiter attended us very well, the place is so beaultiful and the food too, we ate "menu du jour", an excellent option and cheap and drank a bottle of wine. Very good Thai restaurant whith french touch in Paris.

1 Thank ponfervix