“Great atmosphere-went with a large group of friends!”

Le Refuge des Fondus
Ranked #2,371 of 16,854 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Montmartre
“Great atmosphere-went with a large group of friends!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We are visiting my best friend who lives in Paris and we decided to hit this place up since its one of her favorite vegetarian option with a great atmosphere. Plan on it being busy-you may have to wait. There are only 2 long tables-family style seating.. Yes, I had to climb over the table to get to the other side! I think what made this restaurant fun was the people we went with and the other crowds around! Great service! Food is okay, loved drinking wine out of baby bottles-like I said before, all about the experience! It's in a fun place where there are other bars to go to -just remember that it might be hard to find a cab ( we closed down one bar and the metro wasn't up and running yet) so walk in groups!

• Visited September 2013

• Turkish first
Curitiba, PR
“Go for the experience and atmosphere- not quality of food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We've been to Le Refuge des Fondues on two separate trips to Paris and have always had a blast. We've tried both the beef and cheese fondue and regardless of which one you pick, you're going to wish you had tried the other as well. So, if you go with a group of people, I recommend mixing it up and ordering both.
The atmosphere is why we keep going back. Huge amounts of wine out of baby bottles, fondue at your table, and visiting with your table mates is what makes this place great. It does get quite warm, so make sure to order a bottle of water to combat the heat (vs. guzzling wine).

• Visited August 2013
Austin, Texas, United States
“Keep Paris Weird - and fun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

This has to be one of the strangest restaurants I've ever encountered, but totally fun, especially for families, and the food is pretty good too. Start with the seating, with two rows of tables along each wall, without a gap. Those who sit against the wall are requested to stand on the chair in the aisle and stretch across the table to get to the other side. Fortunately, this is not done with a hot fondue pot on the table. The seating is also conducive to conversations with the guests seated next to you. Then there are the drinks, which are served in baby bottles (this goes for the wine too). A bit of a shtick, but it does set the mood. Then there is the decor, which is graffiti chic - guests are encouraged to leave their contributions. The cheese fondue was fab. The meat fondue was good with the sauces. Price was very reasonable. Our two teenagers had a blast. The only drawback was that, once the restaurant filled (quickly) and all the fondues were going, the small room got very hot and sweaty, and there was no air flow or AC to counteract it. It was a relief to get outside and feel a breeze.

1 Thank John G
Austin, Texas, United States
“Keep Paris Weird - and fun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Seattle, Washington
“Fun for Some...Food for None”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I only write this to make sure you are prepared before you go. I have never written anything but good reviews on tripadvisor knowing these reviews can make or break a business and that would never be my intention. I had read about Le Refuge des Fondues when we were here last year, but we never made it in. So we tried again this year and found the place empty (hmmm) so we went in. I had not read the recent reviews (my mistake) so I was not prepared to just have "fun" without good food. I love fondue, I didn't come for the wine in a baby bottle, nor did I plan to put my name or money on the wall (again, my issue), I came to enjoy fondue (my mistake again). As we were eating the very watery fondue with stale bread and drinking wine out of a baby bottle with the cap off (I know, I knew this was part of the "fun"), I told my husband, if this meal is expensive I am going to have to write a review on tripadvisor. Well, 42euros put me over the top, so here I am. Again, I see many people enjoyed the uniqueness of this place...go for it! However, I think they can have uniqueness and good fondue (not to difficult to make fondue) with quality bread (this is France...getting good bread is pretty easy here!). Enough said...have fun!

1 Thank Journies42