“Steak Restaurant meets Seinfeld Soup episode”

Le Relais de Venise
Ranked #667 of 17,520 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Reviewed July 7, 2014

This is such a unique experience I would recommend it to everyone except those with young children. I found this restaurant on Trip Advisor while looking for a back-up after having to cancel our river boat tour due to cold and rain. We arrived 20 minutes early and got in line with others. When the door opened at 7 we were ushered in. There were banquets lining the walls and tables in front of them with no separation between tables. A waitress pulled a table from the wall so I could sit down and then she pushed it back. There were 8 people to my right and 4 to my left. There would be no bathroom break. We did meet a wonderful couple at the table next to us. Since the tables all touch each other you feel like you are sitting at the same table as your neighbors.

The only menu is the wine and dessert list. Everyone gets the same salad, the same cut of steak and same fries. You just order the doneness of your steak and your drink.

The waitress keeps the steak and fries warm on a cart until you finish your first plate. That said my husband wanted to eat his salad with the rest of his dinner. Nope. They would not serve our steak until the salad plates were cleared. The steak was melt in your mouth tender, it tasted as if it was well aged and had a big beef flavor. The sauce was a nice compliment. The french fries were the best I have ever eaten. Hot, crisp dark brown edges, soft in the middle and not the least bit greasy. We also went to England and Germany on this trip and no better, pomme frites or chips were tasted. As soon as you are done you are out of there.

It was not as expensive as we thought it was going to be so that was another plus.

There are newer reviews for Le Relais de Venise

Reviewed July 4, 2014

I like the unique kind of steak here : the juicy and tasty one.
Whenever I go to Paris, I never miss this restaurant.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

The restaurant was recommended to me by my hotel which was located nearby. I was warned that I may have to wait for a table as it is popular. When I arrived all indoor (including upstairs) and outdoor tables were full and there were approximately 10 people waiting in front on me. I knew if locals were waiting to dine it had to be good. By the time I was at the front of the queue (and I am not exaggerating) there were at least 30 people waiting behind me snaking out over the footpath.

Speaking only the bare basics of the French language, I was delighted there was no choice in the menu: a green salad with walnuts dressed with mustard vinaigrette followed by steak frites. Magnifique! The house wine was lovely and the dessert menu was extensive. I chose the profiteroles in a rich chocolate sauce and I have yet to taste any better.

A highlight was watching the restaurant staff deftly manoeuvre through the throngs of diners and literally lift tables and settings around to accommodate group sizes. The maitre d' did become a little grupmy with me when I asked (in French) if she spoke English - but it cetainly didn't detract from this unbelievable dining experience.

Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

Many things change in today's world! L'Entrecôte which I go to on each trip to Paris is a safe bet: the same queue, same service and same amazing entrecôte and it's sauce for the last 30 years. You should end your meal with a chocolat liégeois. Totally fair price.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

I love this place! I go to Paris at least once a year and this restaurant is always where I go for dinner. The steal is always cooked to perfection and the wine is delicious. I love the authentic decor and the waitresses uniforms all add to the ambience. You to can't book, that god otherwise you would never get a table and you know it is good to get Parisians to queue!