“Good food in a relaxed atmosphere”
Review of Au Bon Coin

Au Bon Coin
Reserve with
Save up to 30% when you reserve online *
Au Bon Coin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #194 of 18,008 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Quartier Latin
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is what modern Paris dining should be about. My wife and I turned up without a reservation but were found a place with no fuss and made welcome by young and non-stuffy servers. Main courses of cod and chicken were great, preceded by a complimentary gazpacho. Desserts were great - creem brulee and a millefeuille with the thinnest pastry and the yummiest salted caramel filling. Wine list is long and a little quirky, but we found a decent bottle of Chablis easily enough. If you are staying around the Gare d'Austerlitz/Jardin des Plantes area as we were, the restaurant is 10-15 minutes walk. Well worth it.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

On the strength of many tripadvisor comments I chose the Au Bon Coin. Was not disappointed.

It's a small restaurant tucked away on a small back road off the main drag where most of the tourists go. The folks working there were very friendly and outgoing, and their English was good.

After placing our order they brought us out a complimentary small cup of the best tomato soup we've ever had. Tasted like it was made with some sort of rich oil (foi gras truffle oil?) and pesto.

The appetizer we chose was rare salmon with an amazing sweet sauce with dill and wasabi. The salmon was not the real thin sliced type - it was pretty thick and substantial. You spoon on the sauce over the sliced thick salmon. When you first taste the sauce there is a sweetness to it, but then after a couple seconds the wasabi takes over. Never had salmon this good in my life!!! It was the highlight.

The dessert I had was sponge cake with a rhubarb and rum sauce. And... the most amazing Chantilly whipped cream my wife or I has ever had. They make it fresh every day with vanilla beans. The waiter even brought me out more rum when he saw I had devoured all the sauce with more sponge cake left.

If you are near the Latin Quarter area this is a great restaurant. By far the best of the 10 or so we've been to.

Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Good food at reasonable prices prix fix or a la carte. The whip cream on the desserts was vanilla infused...yumm

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I just came back from a wonderful trip in Paris. I was lucky enough to eat at the Au bon coin twice, so I tried the lunch offer as well as the evening a'la carte. For lunch I had poached eggs in a delicious chorizo sauce and my main course was a piece of "bavette" meat (don't know the english name for it) with smashed potatoes. I had both for only 15 euros, which is really cheap, especially having in mind the high quality and amount of food - I was not even able to finish my main course.
From the a'la carte the next day I tried the cod with a nice glass of wine - great! The cod was perfectly pan-fired with a lot of taste, and was my best meal of the trip.
Would highly reccomend this place for everyone who wants to escape the tourist brasseries and try some good french food for a reasonable price.

1  Thank C H
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

We chanced upon this restaurant after failing to secure a seat at a 'guide' restaurant, and it delivered from start to finish: perfect Spanish-style omelette, bean, cod, and bacon main, and portions of just the right size. Would certainly go again.

1  Thank s_club_1