“A couple's experience at Prosper: one disappointed, one satisfied”
Review of Chez Prosper

Chez Prosper
Ranked #4,140 of 18,207 Restaurants in Paris
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bercy / Nation
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Pros: the waiter was very nice and efficient, the atmosphere was lively. The steak tartare was great, and the french fries were freshly made. Every waiter we met said au revoir and bonjour, not often in Paris!
Cons: The salads are way too big for a normal-sized person, too simple with a huge mound of basic ingredients. the sliced fried potatoes were particulary awful, they were the size of my hand and soggy, not crispy at all! the tandoori chicken was dry.... a lot of food, but made without any creativity.
The mixed berry crumble we had was also enormous and there was too much crumble and not enough fruit. The thin layer of fruit was too hot and so the taste was compromised. The crumble smelled like butter, but in a bad way.
The restaurant was very loud and the table next to us was really too close, I had the overwhelming smell of garlic from their table in my nose while I was eating my dessert.

Overall we would recommend to stay away from the salads and pick one of the Berthillon ice-cream desserts. We enjoyed the friendly and attentive service.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,078)

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I live in Paris and this is one of my fave places:
quick service
bustling atmosphere
huge portions
friendly staff
great salads with piles of grilles potatoes
the best white salad sauce which has a secret recipe
always a great place to go, even if you have to wait 10/15 mins for a table

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed in the Nation area for 7 nights, and ate at Chez Prosper for 4 of them - after trying other restaurants and being disappointed we returned again and again.
Firstly, the atmosphere is amazing. It's crowded, always busy, and you're squeezed in by friendly waiters. There is an outside smoking area but it is separate to the main restaurant so you can't smell any smoke inside.
The wine - I urge you to try the 'Broilly' - it is fantastic.
The best dish was the duck breast, which came with the creamiest mashed potato/ puree, and salad. As a Yorkshire girl I'm normally one for lashings of gravy and got a bit worried when I saw none. But as soon as I tasted it I realised why - it was not needed at all. It was all so moist. The duck breast tasted out of this world. I have tried to recreate the taste at home but to no avail. The seasoning they use is something incredible! The creme brulee is also to die for.
The prices are incredibly reasonable - you pay no more than you would if you went out to Strada/Pizza Express/ASK, perhaps a pound or two more. I would have paid double.
The service is fantastic, the waiters incredibly friendly despite the language barrier, they help you with your French and vice versa.
I wish I could live there.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We ate there 5 times during a recent holiday trip. Each time the food was excellent, the service was very quick and friendly.
Often there was a queue - usually about 10 minutes. The menu choice was large and wine could be bought by the pichet.
Great atmosphere.
Definitely recommend.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

This food is for large appetites but is of average quality. We shared starter salad, and dessert and were still over faced. Suits young people with large appetites and in truth that was most of the clientele. It's good value but if you're looking for quality Parisienne cuisine avoid. Probably good for a salad lunch. The staff however were very friendly and helpful and the chips, sorry French Fries, big pile thereof were among the best I have ever had.