“Nice african food in a simple”
Review of Waly Fay

Waly Fay
Ranked #2,306 of 17,739 Restaurants in Paris
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: République
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Third time I've been there with friends and I love this place.

The atmosphere is very cosy thanks to the hushed lights, the simple tables an chairs, the candles and the ceiling height.
Been there to have a nice moment with friends and to have a quiet diner with my girlfriend.

Never had a problem with the service (guess I got lucky) and every time didn't have to wait long.
There is a good diversity of dishes (fish, chicken, beef...), my favourite is the "dash of soul", fried pecan nut chicken with sweet potatoes fries. You can also have a rhum bissap to get started.

Count an average of 15€ for a dish.
There is also a nice wine list, red or white.

Hope I'll keep having nice experiences there since I plan to go back

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I wouldn't have chosen the restaurant if it had not been recommended as it's hidden down a dark avenue with no windows. We arrived just after eight to find we had the last free table. There was only one waiter which slowed the evening down considerably but he spoke decent enough English to help us understand the menu. The portions were very well-sized and the food cooked exceptionally. We had two glasses of some of the best red wine I've drunk in years for €4 each. Well worth the effort and the wait to be served.

1  Thank emjmason
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We visited this restaurant on our last night, the main waiter didn't speak any English, although another worker did, and he helped to translate the menu options for us. We arrived late at about 10pm, and the restaurant was quiet, although it had been very busy on other nights.

As a vegetarian, I had struggled with food at other restaurants, and found the man who served us very helpful and accomodating in understanding that I didn't eat meat or fish, and in recommending the Maffe Legumes dish, which is like an African peanut based vegetable stew. We were given a free starter to share of roasted banana with a spicy sauce - very tasty, and my partner has a chicken based dish which he also enjoyed. There were a number of puddings available, although we were too full to sample these.

The restaurant had lovely lighting, a nice ambience, and lovely food - this was the best meal I had whilst staying in Paris for 4 nights. We paid approxmately 40E for two mains, a starter (free) and two alcoholic drinks and thought this to be good value for the food and service we received.

Reviewed December 10, 2011

Dîner hier soir avec des amis étrangers en visite à Paris. Tout le monde a été conquis par la beauté du lieu, l'éclairage tamisé, la gentillesse des serveurs, et surtout la qualité de la nourriture. Enfin un restaurant africain chic et discret, qui ne joue pas la carte "ethnique" ou "folklorique", mais un vrai dépaysement. Un restaurant avec un supplément d'âme. Merci encore à tout l'équipe pour cette très belle soirée, on a pu rester de 21h à 1h du matin sans qu'on nous fasse jamais sentir qu'on prenait trop de temps, alors qu'il y avait du monde un vendredi soir. C'est si rare à Paris!

Reviewed January 19, 2011

Look for the bamboo outside to spot this gem of an African-West Indian restaurant on an otherwise nondescript street near Charonne metro (line 9).

The restaurant is open only in the evenings. Reservations are recommended.

The decor is romantic and there's a furnace in the middle of the dining area that creates a rustic ambiance. The lighting is subdued, and exposed beams and stone walls add to its warmth.

We usually start off with patate douce (strips sweet potato cut and fried but no greasy) and alloco (fried plantains). The pre-meal cocktail (can be non-alcoholic upon request) with ginger is quite nice.

My favourite main courses are the mafe au poulet (chicken mafe) or the mafe du boeuf (beef mafe) both are stewed in a peanut-based sauce. The colombo de cabri (young goat meat in a Caribbean curry sauce) is wonderful. We also like the poulet yassa (chicken breast with lemon and onions). All mains mentioned are served with a side-order of white rice. Be sure to ask for some homemade pepper sauce if you want to add some oupf to your dish. But be warned: a little goes a long way and a lot will burn your mouth right off.

The flan for dessert is quite nice. They have a good selection of French and foreign wines. We liked the one from Argentina.

The staff are professional and very friendly. They are happy to offer suggestions in French and English.

Dinner with drinks for 2 is about €60, which is very reasonable such a lovely dining experience.

Call after 6pm if you want to order take-away.