“Excellent lunch”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Champs-Elysees
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Overall we had a lovely lunch in this entirely wood-panelled formal dining room...which felt almost like a boardroom. The restaurant is actually located in the former private mansion of the Duke of Morny. The waitstaff were very attentive (and numerous!), the food was of a high standard, and the atmosphere, though a little subdued, was pleasant.
The creme brulee de foie gras which we had as a starter was delicious initially, but after a few mouthfuls became cloyingly rich and heavy. I think if served in a smaller quantity it would have been more appreciated.
As we had chosen the wine-matched set menu, we felt there should have been a dessert wine served along with the dessert but failed to mention it at the time..so not sure if was an intentional omission or not.
Explanations of all courses were offered cheerfully in English.
We had left our young children with a babysitter so were conscious of the time..and the entire menu was delivered promptly...no delays.
Would return and/or recommend without hesitation.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have visited Taillevent during every trip to Paris over the last 36 years, starting in 1976 when I was just out of school, travelling with 3 school friends. We had lunch and when everyone had cleared out, we were the only ones left. The owner, the late M. Vrinat, came over and sat down with us and told us the history of the restaurant as if 4 young 20 somethings were the most important people ever to come into the restaurant - it sold me then and continues to this day. Our lunch there last week was as memorable as ever, the food excellent and the wine pairing terrific. I highly recommend the fixed price lunch, with a wine pairing at less than 100 euros. I can not imagine what happened to those Americans with a bad experience there, but for those looking for a restaurant in Paris to commemorate a special occasion, I can not recommend one more highly.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I completely agree with the gentleman who had the terrible experience here. The food was fine. Very very rich, took four hours to eat and cost a fortune. Service bad, no one explained what we were eating and for the fixed price I thought we were to get wine also. I felt bullied into ordering a bottle off the menu and was intimated about asking much of anything. I will never ever recommend this place. Felt sick from the rich food and the outrageous price and rudeness.

10  Thank marlam1
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We had a wonderful dinner at Taillevent earlier this year. It is an experience beyond simply dining, it is an evening of elegance. The wine list is almost incomparable. The service was outstanding, the maitre d made a point of striking up conversation and he was very charming. The food was very good and the wines were phenomenal.

Be prepared to pay for your experience, but in our opinion it is worth it.

3  Thank Bwm7211
Reviewed December 10, 2012

The whole package was perfect starting from the entrance. It may not be the cheapest place to eat but I would consider it as "once in lifetime" -experience. I had some veal (I know it sounds boring...) but that was magnificent. And the wine they recommended was perfect choice with the main course.

The service is unique. When I sat down and left my briefcase on the floor they brought an ottoman for it!

1  Thank NeverAgainCannes