“The best so far in Paris”
Review of Lucas Carton

Lucas Carton
Reserve with
Lucas Carton is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,805 of 18,357 Restaurants in Paris
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Champs-Elysees
Description: Senderens restaurant in Paris with stunning views toward the church of the Madeleine (Da Vinci Code fans take note) is one of the city���s most important restaurants, replete with history and full of exciting modernity. Originally opened in 1890, taken over and redecorated in true Art Deco style in the 1920���s, it operated as three-star Lucas Carton until 2005 when chef Alain Senderens gave back the stars, changed the name and transformed the d��cor and menu to create this stylish, informal restaurant. The beautiful Art Deco carvings remain, but now the tables are free of starchy linens, the service is relaxed and the dishes are innovative and exotic. Veal tartare with langoustines and rice noodles is stunning, as is the Racan pigeon stuffed with crab meat and poached in Qi Lan tea. The cellar remains a high-end experience. For elegant, sleek, exciting dining in the heart of town, Senderens will delight you.
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed this classic French restaurant. Situated very close to the Madeleine, this exceptional restaurant had ***** food and service. I started with a unique fois gras warped in cabbage leaf and for the main course had a lobster ravioli with vanilla foam. After all of that I had fraise du bois for dessert to finish one of the best meals I have had in the last several years.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

This restaurant had been recommended by a friend and met all of our expectations. We especially appreciated our maître - who not only guided us through our meal, but went out of his way to make our evening memorable.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I am judging this restaurant by only the best because that is its standard.

Whilst the food varied only between excellent to profound, the ambience and service was very mixed.

The restaurant is on the exquisite Place Madeleine and the original interior is glorious belle epoque with superb wood carving and ancient mirros everywhere. Whilst I understand the desire to recognise that we are now eating in the Third Millenium, this attempt to "update" (what does that mean?) the interior modern is terrible and detracts instead of complementing the original decor.

As for service, the butter knife was not clean. I had to ask for the table to be cleaned after a course that, inevitably, meant it was dirty. I always had to re-fill my water glass. The Maitre D'Hotel did not consider me important enough to greet. Perhaps worst of all I felt obliged to tip when my previous experience in the best restaurants in Paris (Le Cinq, Taillevent, Restaurant Joel Robuchon for example) made it clear additional tipping is unnecessary.

On the plus side, it was a pleasure to discuss wine choices with the sommelier. They also wrapped up my petit fours (I was by then full after having the Degustation Menu) in a swan shaped packet. So there were high points and low. But at this level of restaurantation (and cost 160 euros) there should only be high ones.
If one has only the budget for the one great restaurant trip I would go to any of the others mentioned above.

2  Thank Martin D
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We are Americans living in France, and to date, this is our favorite restaurant in Paris - incredible food presentations and delectable, superb wine pairings, and decor, ambiance and service rarely equaled in our view.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Took clients to this place and were able to have our own room for the long table with beautiful views of the Church. The menu was very good and diverse and many dishes to get you excited if you are a foodie like me. The wine menu was also extensive. The only reason it doesn't get 5 star is that it's a little expensive...but it is Paris of course!!