“The food and service were outstanding”

Le Relais Louis XIII
Ranked #709 of 18,812 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Odeon / Saint-Michel
Reviewed August 15, 2016

We were in Paris for our anniversary and wanted to try a Michelin rated restaurant. The sommelier was very helpful and the manager, whose English is good but Portuguese was better, was great. I recommend the tasting menu with wine. The duck was amazing! The sommelier opened 5 different bottles of wine for the multiple courses. It was so nice to have a professional pair the right wine with each course. The most enlightening part of the evening was talking to the manager. She talked about her passion for the restaurant and commitment to the chef and his vision. How everything, the menu and staff etc, were a reflection of the chef. How people in shorts and tee shirts were refused service, even with reservations, because they were not respecting the chef. Overall a great meal and unexpected insight into French customs and thinking.

Date of visit: April 2016
3  Thank LeticiaMcA
Write a reviewReviews (531)

Reviewed August 8, 2016

My husband and I treated ourselves to a meal here upon our trip to Paris in July. We’d hoped it would be a once in a lifetime experience with a huge wow factor, we left a little disappointed. We were 5 minutes early for our reservation, they wouldn't let us in and left us waiting outside on the street for those 5 minutes, which I found a bit off. We were the first to arrive at the restaurant and it slowly filled up over the next hour. Because of its Michelin star rating my husband and I dressed up for the meal, thinking that everyone would do the same and it was part of the experience for us, we were therefore surprised by some tourists who came to dine there in Bermuda shorts and t-shirts. Chef Manuel Martinez was charming and came out to welcome us. His team were very professional and delivered the service beautifully. We ordered the tasting menu and each course was a delight and delicious. Something was missing and we both agreed that we’ve had better meals elsewhere in France to the same quality if not better with the restaurant not having a Michelin rating.

Date of visit: August 2016
2  Thank Anita R
Reviewed July 9, 2016

I have gone to Louis XIII several times over the 30 years. While always good, and the first time it had two Guide Michelin stars, lunch on 7 July was the best. It was so good, I now have to say it was the best meal I have ever had, and I have had some great ones from Sweden to Zimbabwe. And the value of the meal is not to be overlooked. We ordered that day's menu for 60 euros, and in the end, we were served not just the six stated courses, but eight if you include the amuse bouches. Also, the three of us drank three bottles of wine, and I finished with an Etter poire. No one felt the least stuffed or tipsy. The wines were great value, and one would have to pay the same price for each bottle in a wine store in the US (a 2010 Hortus white from Languedoc, a 2006 Guy Charlemagne pink champagne, and a 2010 Gigondas). This is a restaurant you should not pass up if in Paris even if you only have one place you can go.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed July 6, 2016 via mobile

There want anything that wasn't well done. That said it didn't leave us with a wow. The food was well presented and original. The service was well delivered. There was no rush. But I have to compare the experience with other dinning experiences and it didn't match the experience at lesser rated restaurants.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed July 1, 2016

Great food and excellent service. Definitely worthwhile going for special occasion but it worth every penny.

Date of visit: April 2016