“Excellent Pho for only 8 Euros!”
Review of Pho 14

Pho 14
Ranked #2,173 of 18,359 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Place d'Italie / Quartier Asiatique
Description: House specialties: Pho soup served with chicken or beef, spring rolls with pork or chicken, ravioli and rice pancakes ...
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I really enjoyed the Pho here. You get a deeply satisfying bowl of goodness for about 8 Euros - and the portion is generous.

You have a choice of beef or chicken pho. For the beef you can opt for rare or cooked beef slices, beef balls and tripe. We were a group of five and we tried both chicken and beef. They were so yummy I couldn't decide which one I liked better. I did not detect MSG in the pho. If they do use it there is very little. However, judging by the amount of meat they put into each bowl, I really don't think they would be skimping on any bones for naturally flavorsome pho stock.

We also had the deep fried spring rolls (Nem) and an order of ravioli. They do the spring rolls very well and the dipping sauce is perfectly balanced. The ravioli was nothing extraordinary but nevertheless enjoyable. Our meal came up to 54 Euros with drinks.

There are many Vietnamese, Thai and Chinese restaurants along the street but Pho 14 is usually the only one with a queue at all times. Don't confuse with Pho 13 up the street.

The environment is nothing to shout about. It is busy and tightly packed. Service is quick and efficient - characteristic of a high turnover restaurant.

I would definitely frequent this place if I lived in Paris and happily queue every time.

1  Thank yumfix
Write a ReviewReviews (1,221)

Reviewed December 12, 2012

the beef noodles here is cooked to perfection! served with all the sauces that you ever need to compliment the noodles.
four years ago, when i first tried this, I suspected that excessive MSG was used as it tasted really good, but the favorful taste came all from the fine selection of ingredients!! no nasty after effects that you may get from pho13.... haha.... i never waste a drop of the soup.

1  Thank Ronald Y
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

We are from Melbourne and are spoilt by some excellent pho restaurants so our expectations are pretty high. Pho 14 came as close as we could ever hope for so far from Vietnam. The broth was delicious and spot-on, and the soup came with all the authentic sides including real Vietnamese mint. The sliced rare beef was a little chewy and the rice noodles weren't quite what we were used to, but all in all we were very pleased to find a good pho in Paris. Also, the Vietnamese spring rolls were outstanding and I highly recommend them.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

In this review, i will be giving you all the insights of this restaurant.

1: It is not difficult to find, its literally at the corner of a main road. I don't think any of the customers make a reservation before they come. It is a tiny restaurant but with plenty of seatings

2: yes, like all other reviewers, i also suspect the owner of the restaurant is a french instead of a vietnamese. I personally do not feel that the restaurant has a french vibe though. It is still very vietnamese and run in a vietnamese way eg. Food was served very quickly.

3: if you are expecting very spicy vietnamese food, this might not be the one. I asked for hot oily chilli paste for dipping my deep fried spring rolls but they don't have it.

4: they have one of the best deep fried spring rolls, i suggest you order it because it won't be a let down.

5: how's the pho? Yes, i also agree with other reviewers. It is not the best pho i have ever tasted but it certainly helps if you want a hot bowl of noodle soup during a rainy day in Paris.

6:I am going to give you the most important insight now....Pho 14 does add monosodium glutamate (MSG) in the soup base. We got really thirsty after drinking the soup. I am really sorry to say a traditional vietnamese pho will never have any trace of MSG. Its all about cooking the soup stock with lots of different cuts of meat and bones without adding any preservative.

We also felt that the soup base is too bland and this could be why they added MSG into their soup.

Overall service was quick, easy to find and food is so-so if you craving for vietnamese. I personally will not go back again. If i ever did, i will order the dry vermicili with spring rolls and grilled sliced beef.

If you think my reviews have been helpful to you, please click 'Yes' for 'Was this review helpful?'

2  Thank TravelQueenie365
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Very crowdy on a sunday and also queue outside. Pho with beef slices and beef balls nothing special, the beef was quite tough. Deep fried springrolls looked a lot like the premade ones sold on the asian supermaket down the street. Nice hostess and service but I had to scratch my head regarding the queue outside