“Exceptional salesman!”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trocadero
Description: The kitchen staff remains under the direction of Philippe Mercier who has been in the position for Established in 1959 by Paul Chene chef cuisinier by training, and located in the heart of the Trocadero district of Paris, the restaurant 'Paul Chene' is recognized as an institute of traditional French cuisine. The high standards set by Paul Chene as a celebration of regional products and exceptional quality of service is perpetuated by its owner Harold Audouin.
Manchester
“Exceptional salesman!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

From the moment I walked into this place i felt under pressure and sold to. The environment is old and really could so with updating, I am all for authenticity but this felt terribly outdated and small, with tables so close together, I don't expect to know my neighbours so well when I am paying so much, which we were prepared for. The first thing we were asked if we wanted to try "my home made champagne?" how could we refuse, surely it would be rude not to? it was very expensive, plus water, I think we had spent £40 before we had been there 5 minutes! I had emailed Harold from England to ask about gluten and Dairy free options, he was very helpful, but this was not reciprocated by Harold in person, he even brought up bread and salmon paste and when we said we would not be eating it due to it's contents, he just left it on the table and told me to eat it with a spoon! When I asked him to go through the menu he made a joke of my dietary habits and was not very helpful in explaining what I could have, as if I was insulting the chef. We had many excellent meals in Paris which had a modern and understanding way of dealing with people, not this place! Be prepared to be sold to, they were pushing asparagus the day we went, it was average and not worth £20+! Dont waste your money, they need to move with the times

• Visited April 2013
5 Thank Lancashire_Freckle

• Polish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Harold, the owner, welcomed us and regaled us with his charm and wit. He speaks great English, and he has English menus, making it very easy for us American business travelers. The food was excellent. I had the Steak the first night we were there and a wonderful stew the second night. The cognac after dinner was superb. I will bring my wife here next time we are in Paris. Thanks Harold!

1 Thank Chip S
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Justifies the reviews”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Excellent traditional French food with hearty service. We loved the steak! If you like whiskey - try the place's own special brand (made in Scotland)

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Amazing Dining in Paris”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I booked this restaurant for my boyfriends 30th birthday after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor and it did not dissapoint. Fantatstic service by the one waiter who serves all 10 tables fabulously. the food was amazing, expensive, but well worth the price. We both had the langoustine salad starter whcih was amazing and then steak which was the best we had ever tasted. We both greeduly went for dessert of profiteroles whcih were out of this world, only sorry i couldn't finish them! A house cognac to finish off the meal was the perfect end! Thank you thank you for making a great evening perfect!

Anna & Andy, Liverpool, UK

Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A touch of magic”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This restaurant is one of those special experiences. It is small, intimate, the man himself ensures all elements of the experience are of highest standard.
The food was special indeed. I am not a great fan of snails, but my wife ordered them and they were perfect. The chateaubrilland was to die for, the best ever. Mr Chene keeps a close eye on your enjoyment without imposing, it really was a bit of French magic. He makes his own family cognac, and this was the coup de grace! Stunning, I thought.
Thanks for the great food, great service and that little extra bit of magic, we loved it.