“Le Meilleur”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trocadero
Description: The kitchen staff remains under the direction of Philippe Mercier who has been in the position for Established in 1959 by Paul Chene chef cuisinier by training, and located in the heart of the Trocadero district of Paris, the restaurant 'Paul Chene' is recognized as an institute of traditional French cuisine. The high standards set by Paul Chene as a celebration of regional products and exceptional quality of service is perpetuated by its owner Harold Audouin.
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We were in Paris on business and asked our concierge for a recommendation to a restaurant that features great, traditional French cooking, a quiet (non-touristy) atmosphere and excellent service. Paul Chene exceeded expectations in all categories! The escargots were the best we've ever had anywhere. My wife's steak was divine. When I explained my sensitivity to things cooked in oil, the owner and the chef accommodated me by preparing my frogs' legs in duck fat instead of oil. Scrumptious! We would return in a heartbeat.

2  Thank Stephen P
There are newer reviews for Bistrot Paul Chene

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Enjoyed the evening at this restaurant very much! Very cosy and pleasant atmosphere, excellent service. The meal was just great, especially the scallops. Probably one the best I have ever tried!
Will definitely come back there during the next trip to Paris.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

a great french experienc. Feels like going back in time. Service second to none. Traditional french food.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

This was my first visit to Paris and my boyfriend and I decided to come here after seeing the reviews on tripadvisor. This was our 'main' night in Paris so we wanted a special meal before heading to see a show at the Moulin Rouge. I was a little nervous about the price, especially as there were no prices on the website. This is fine dining at its best and it is expensive. We don't usually spend that much on eating out but as a one-off treat during our holiday it was absolutely worth it - it certainly was the special night i'd hoped for.

The restaurant is small and intimate with just 7 tables,. The owner, Harold, was very welcoming and took the time to tend to us, make recommendations and talk us through the menu. Because of the price we opted for the cheapest wine on the menu, a bottle of red for e40, which was actually very nice. I wanted to try frogs legs and I'm glad I had them here. I had it as a starter cooked in parsley and garlic and it was beautiful, very tender and melted in the mouth. My boyfriend had the poached eggs which he thoroughly enjoyed. I had the monkfish for main and my boyfriend had the lamb, both of which were just sublime. We were topped up with fresh bread throughout the meal, as well as a pastry topped lobster dish which was served before our starters.

Although we were stuffed we just couldn't pass up the opportunity for dessert so shared the chocolate mousse. I really don't know how something so simple could taste so amazing! This was followed with a plate of brandy snaps and mini muffin. My boyfriend then had a cognac which the owner recommended, which was e28 for a glass.

So for 2 starters, 2 mains, 1 dessert, bottle of wine and a cognac (bottle of water, bread, the lobster 'starter' and brandy snaps were at no additional charge) our total bill came to e220. A lot more than we would normally pay but it was worth it as a one off and I will always have a great memory of our special night out in Paris, and those frogs legs especially!

The only comments I could make for improvement is it would have been nice for some quite background music. Due to the restaurants small size and intimate nature, I did feel a bit uncomfortable at first as I was very self- conscious of speaking too loud and the other diners. The place filled up soon though and the chatter around me made it easier for me to relax. Also the font on the menu is a bit extreme on the italics; I really struggled to read it.

I would certainly eat here again and highly recommend a visit.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

My sister and I had dinner here our second night in Paris. We only had 2 nights and we wanted true French cuisine and we couldn't get that on a Sunday night so we had to wait until Monday. The wait was well worth it. Our hotel highly recommended Paul Chéne. Have them make a reservation for you. The whole experience was wonderful. We had escargot, asparagus, lamb and lobster. We followed that up with soufflé. Try the champagne and cognac which are their own. All were terrific. Harrold was very pleasant and attentive and provided great service. The restaurant is a charming and quiet restaurant. I would highly recommend to anyone who would like a true French meal with wonderful service in a great restaurant.