“Harold Audouin” 5 of 5 bubbles

Paul Chene
Ranked #82 of 16,717 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Trocadero
Description: The kitchen staff remains under the direction of Philippe Mercier who has been in the position for Established in 1959 by Paul Chene chef cuisinier by training, and located in the heart of the Trocadero district of Paris, the restaurant 'Paul Chene' is recognized as an institute of traditional French cuisine. The high standards set by Paul Chene as a celebration of regional products and exceptional quality of service is perpetuated by its owner Harold Audouin.
London
“Harold Audouin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

We went to Paris in December for my wife birthday with her cousins. We live in Italy. I thought of giving them roses (to the three of them). So I wrote Harold , to do the magic, and voila when we got there , there were the three best bouquets that you may find in Paris waiting at our table. So thank you Harold. Also he gave us the best advises on our french food and wine choices. Hopefully I will be back soon.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Myrmidones

• Polish first
Gothenburg, Sweden
“One of the very best! (ever)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

This place is must for anyone visiting Paris and wants an incredible evening with great food, superb service and in a very nice setting that wont be forgotten in a long time.
I travel a lot both in my work and private and as a "foodie" i always try to find the best places to eat. This is one of my top 3 places i have ever been to. Dont miss it!

The food:

I had the pan fried fois gras with the in Paul Chene orange cognac liquor sauce as an appetizer. Wow was it delicious! It was a big size of tender and creamy liver goodness with a sweet and lovely sauce that was great with the liver! Girlfriend had the sauteed scallops in garlic and parsley and this was equally delicious. Size was not the normal petit mini size as normally on 5 star restaurants. I think there was about 6-8 scallops and this was an appetizer! Yummy!

For entrée i filé Rossing made traditionally with a slice of pan fried fois gras on the top and a marvellous truffle sauce. We choose the truffle mashed potatoes on the side and could not have been happier. The filé and fois gras was melt in your mouth perfect and so was the supersmoooth and tasty mash.

As Harold our wonderful host and owner suggested the classic crepes suzette with the in house orange cognac liquer i couldnt say no even though "crepes" have always been "luxury pancakes" to me and im not really a big lover of pancakes. The dessert was good but didnt quite match the 5 star appetizers and entrées. The girlfriend picked the profiteroles wich are small delicious puff pastrys filled with ice cream. On arrival at the table Harold poured a thick and warm chocolate sauce all over the profiteroles to perfect the dessert. This was an awesome dessert and i was a bit sad i didnt pick the same.

After the 3 dishes and bottle of great red wine (at a good rate as good wine are easy to find in Paris) i asked Harold about the taste of the dessert wine Sauternés wich i was curious to try. 2 minutes later Harold comes back with a complimentery glass of this superb dessert wine!!!
He also told me its best enjoyed either with fois gras or cheese and gave me a free!? plate of 3-4 cheese to eat with the wine. What a nice touch!

We also had a small glass of the orange cognac (free again) that is made from Harolds familys old recipe and iits very tasty.

This is a wonderful little romatic and special place with just about 6-7 tables so book in time.
Harold and the waitress (Harolds sister?) was both so nice and serviceminded that we cant wait to go back.

Prices? Actually not bad at all. Comparing with 5 star restaurants in europe and in the us i must say that the prices are more then fare for the experience, quality of the food and the service.
For a tree course meal with 1 bottle of wine i think we paid around 250 € with tip.

As said before, dont miss the chance to eat at this place since the memories remain a long time.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank FoodVagabond
New Canaan, CT USA
“Here I come!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I ate in Paul Chene forty-five years ago on my very first day in Paris. Have never forgotten it. The dish that I remember was haricot vert au buerre. I identified it as French, rather than as Paul Chene, I ordered it every place I ate on that trip but it never measured up.

Closest I have ever come was at a dinner at Maxim's with the same friend who introduced me to Paul Chene. They were not on the carte but we ordered them anyway. Good, but not the same.

Well, this summer I plan to go back. This time, I can even afford it.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank whmurray
Canterbury
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Wow, what a fabulous place, very small and intimate, the food is divine, I'm a dairy intolerant and still managed 3 courses of heavenly food with wine, champagne and cognac, cannot recommend enough!! Utterly divine French food

Rome, Italy
“A Very Special Birthday Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Thanks to Paul Chene and my lovely boyfriend who arranged for everything I had a wonderful birthday dinner here. If you want to experience Paris and have a taste of the divine cuisine this would be the place to go as the menu is amazing! Harold, I figured out your name by clicking through the pictures:), gave us some true entertainment and even took our pictures during the evening. He recommended the amazing lobster lute which is something that will change your life:) It was so good and so full of flavour, even the 50 year old cognac (boy...hot inside:) could not compete in my opinion (I know you don't agree and it will make everyone feel better that Harold served me my first cognac ever so I will have some time left to become an expert and return to Paul Chene! Then, the home made apple pie and the creme brûlée....O what to say that creme brûlée must come from a very secret recipe and will be for long the best we ever had.
Thanks again for an amazing dinner Harold and Paul Chene, Grazie ed a presto!

• Visited January 2013