“A Step Back in Time”

Paul Chene
Ranked #227 of 16,854 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Trocadero
Description: The kitchen staff remains under the direction of Philippe Mercier who has been in the position for Established in 1959 by Paul Chene chef cuisinier by training, and located in the heart of the Trocadero district of Paris, the restaurant 'Paul Chene' is recognized as an institute of traditional French cuisine. The high standards set by Paul Chene as a celebration of regional products and exceptional quality of service is perpetuated by its owner Harold Audouin.
New York City
“A Step Back in Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I just returned from an extraordinary dinner and experience in Paris and wanted to write my review while the flavors are still on my tongue. Harold, the owner, greets you at the door, and immediately you feel like you are returning to an old friend. The food is traditional old school French, the restaurant being in the family since 1959. After a glass of Champagne, from his family, the choices are many and hard to settle on one. I started with risotto with cream and truffles and I knew that the night will be memorable. My girlfriend had eggs with truffles, sounding strange to me, but her being French, she knew what to expect. It was also very good. My main was Chateaubriand which I have only seen before for two, but this was a single portion. Excellent with a brown sauce and a thin slice of froie gras on top which melted like butter. Accompanied by a simple but excellent side of pommes frites. My girlfriend had Coquilles St, Jacques - scallops with vegetables with a sauce made of froie gras. It was served in a scallop with a puffed pastry baked around it. Almost too beautiful to eat. But she did and she loved it. Passing on the fromage, we went right to the dessert. We both ate the Crepe Suzette and we were in dessert heaven. She and I have had this many times before but never have we tasted better.
If you are in Paris, you must go to Paul Chene, No Haute Cuisine. Just down to earth traditional kitchen with the best ingredients one can find. You will return. I know I will. Tell Harold, the Nightmayor sent you.

• Visited January 2013

• Polish first
“DEFINATELY THE BEST RESTAURANT IN PARIS!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

All I can say is wow! From the food, to the service, to the atmosphere it was impeccable!! A must go to restaurant in Paris!!

california
“Should be #1!!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

If you are looking for the BEST traditional food served by a man who honors his trade and treats you like you are a guest in his home, this is a MUST! Howard opens the door for you and treats you to culinary bliss! Every dish is superbly prepared. A memorable night that will be difficult to top. The champagne and cognac were divine! The pâté, frois gras, Hare, Lobster, Scallops, filet were magnificent. Thank you!!!

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank jlo2100
Escondido, CA
“Extraordinary Evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

Daniel, the desk clerk at our hotel suggested we go here. He had recently been for the first time and was excited about sending someone else there to share in his discovery. After a couple of metro changes and a comfortable walk, we were there. From the minute we walked in the door until we left hours later, we had a perfect experience. Hospitality is the operative word. The owner is intent on making this a memorable evening by providing great service, food, drinks, atmosphere, etc. He is charming and professional. Make your reservation, walk in the door, take your seat and get ready to enjoy not only a great meal, but a classic Parisian experience, too. Thank you, Daniel, for putting this on our radar! We will definitely be back.

• Visited December 2012
4 Thank LORIP21
Kiev
“We will always be back to Paul Chene”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

In most cases I do not leave any feedback about the restaurants I like or dislike but this one is an exception! We've been to Paul Chene at least 4 times by now in the last 3 years and I feel a little guilty by promising to the owner - I would leve a feedback for sure when I go back. Now, when I plan to be back to this place already next week - I am here and what do I see - the very well deserved #8 out of 8K+ restaurants in Paris - WOWWWW!!!! Maybe I am a bit late with my few words of appreciation to the place, food, hospitality of the owners and overall ambienece but my dears - this is the greatest place I ever visited in Paris. Some weird people complaint about the cost - well, what can I say - I am glad that they will not be back here anymore. Please make sure you try the family cognac and orange liquer....please make sure you do trust the owner's advice as regards the menue choice! Harold is running this place for ages and don't mind him spending a bit more time with you :-) he is a wonderful guy! So is his charning assistant with her lovely Crepe Suzette....oh well - I am glad I'll be back already in a few days :-) and yes - the very well desrved #8. Congratualtions Harold and the team!

• Visited July 2012