“Small but inviting, but not memorable”

Les Fables de La Fontaine
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Les Fables de La Fontaine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,526 of 19,409 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Description: David Bottreau told the kitchen Mehdi Karamane, formerly second restaurant, went head today. Together they reflected on a new kitchen , which is the new life given to the restaurant : a tinted gourmet cuisine in a bistro generosity. They dust off the gourmet kitchen , and make accessible star, with only watchword quality and creativity. The kitchen retains its identity by selecting marine classics of the marine world , but also delicious and unknown products to the general public . The noble products such as sole , lobster , caviar are offered in this suggestion, according to arrivals. Seasonal products are showcased , guaranteeing freshness preserved , and starred cuisine is reflected in specific executions, controlled , in order to rediscover and exhaling in the flavors.
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Good news: Fresh ingredients with inventive combinations, wonderful presentations, ample portions, helpful and professional staff. Bad news: Very tiny, not knock-your-socks-off tastes. We had a lovely meal here, but were expecting spectacular which it was not. The place is quite tiny, but fortunately we had an enjoyable conversation with the person at the next table ("next" is an overstatement). For the price, we have had better meals in both New York and in Italy.

Date of visit: May 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,056)

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I had a a la carte dinner here in March.

Every dish had a bit of surprising elements in ever so perfectly source and cooked seafood so even if you are a bit of savvy gourmand, I can assure you that you would be satisfied here.

Every dinner was French and very local - clearly, it is also well talked about place for French locals...

The only thing is that the restaurant is small. Trust me, I am from Japan so I am very used to small spaced... It is perfectly fine if it was not for the fine food and fine prices.... I thought tables are far too close and we are crammed in far too much for the price level of dishes...

I hope they can take out two tables from the restaurant and just provide a bit more space per table... but it is still worth a try because food is really that great!

Date of visit: March 2013
Reviewed March 18, 2013

A small, intimate eatery that is an Interior Design masterclass. The use of the word small is an understatement, however, this tiny, 27 cover restaurant (1 Michelin Star) runs like clockwork.

I note a fellow reviewer finds walking through the kitchen to the spotlessly clean toilets offensive. Normally I would agree. However, this time I do not. The cloakroom is past the kitchen, the wine fridges and set back with a ventilation. It also allows one to view the tiny yet immaculate kitchen - where 5 chefs work, in utter cleanliness.

The food is pricey but delicious. Our starters were the deep fried King Prawns in a filo pastry set in a Caesar salad (the dressing of which was to die for). They were served with two dips - one a spinach puree and the other a mixture of mango and fruit puree.
I had the crab and fois gras ravioli in a lobster consume with mushroom and ginger (to be honest I found it a little under seasoned).
We then shared an 800gm Dover Sole Meuniere served with truffled mashed potato. Simply Heaven on a Plate.
The Amuse Bouche was an asparagus puree with oyster mousse and leaves. Marvellous. Breads were perfect and the seaweed butter accurately balanced.

Wine list was excellent but extremely overprice. Come on guys, if you are putting a fairly average Spanish Rioja on the menu don't insult us collectors and try and sell it for 140 Euros!

Being critical I noted that the polite waiters were so busy at times (each table turning round at least once whilst we were there AND it was a Sunday night) which caused them not to notice that wine and water needed pouring. Guests at this level should not have to pour their own, nor ask for it.

Our bill arrived before we called for it. Not acceptable. And it contained a double charge for 2 items. Not right at this level and with only 27 guests.

I had to ask for coffee 3 times.

I am being fussy, but a bill in excess of 260 Euros for 2 people demands a standard.

Despite that I loved it and would go again.

Every centimetre of space has a purpose - how the staff manage I do not know. Small closely set tables can be intrusive but in here they simply create atmosphere. Add to that the use of a small bar with 2 further seats by the window as an examples of maximising output. A small central service unit manages to menus, cutlery, napkins, wines and water, plates. The tiny bar offers the best champagne and excellent Malt Whiskey. The soft grey decor palate creates a contemporary surrounding.

Date of visit: March 2013
1  Thank Cheryl G
Reviewed January 10, 2013

With impeccable food and service, this 1-star restaurant has become one of my favourite restaurants in Paris. For the best deal, go during lunch and ask for the lunch menu. At 35 Euros for a starter, main dish and dessert (no choice given though) PLUS a glass of wine of choice, it's probably one of, if not the best deal in Paris for a 1-michelin starred restaurant.

Date of visit: January 2013
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We've just come back from a dinner with family and what a disappointment!
The Michelin Guide has sometimes misled us in the past but this is the ultimate ...
Yes the decor is cold, Yes the tables are small, but having to cross the kitchen to get to the toilets is worse ..
No the worse was food.
In fact, none of our dishes was tasty.No taste at all !The sea bass (said to be wild) didn't look fresh but looked like coming from freezer with plenty of water with no taste at all (unanimous opinion of the guests) and the mixture of another fish with mozzarella was not a good choice.
Mozzarella had a taste but not the fish...

The smashed dishes ( purées) were nearly liquid and with no taste, a kind of porridge..is that possible?

We barely touched our food, we left hungry and disguted with the feeling of having been scammed.
We haven't even taken a dessert that would have been in the same way.
We do not understand the positive reviews for this restaurant and we will never be back.

Date of visit: January 2013