“Totally unprofessional”
Review of Le Violon d'Ingres

Le Violon d'Ingres
Reserve with
Le Violon d'Ingres is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #243 of 17,628 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Description: Michelin starred excellent quality fresh food French restaurant using fresh local ingredients. Creative and exciting food. Owned by Top Chef Christian Constant.
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I would love to be able to give a review of this restaurant but when we arrived at the time and date of our confirmed reservation we were informed that the venue was totally booked out for an 'event'. The situation went downhill from there.

We had made a booking (in October) for our last night in Paris (January 8th) as we always like to arrange a meal in a Michelin Star restaurant as a sort of 'culmination' for each trip. So arriving at the restaurant to be told that we 'couldn't have a booking for that night' was more than a little disappointing. We produced our confirmation email but were still met with looks of disbelief and irrelevant stories of the restaurant having been closed in September for renovations, though I can't imagine how that could have affected a booking made in October.

Having established that we were leaving Paris the next day so couldn't come back the next night (was that really their best offer ?????) the best they could do, apparently, was to see if their 'colleague next door can fit you in' - that being Les Cocottes. Somehow sitting up at the bar in a noisy 'bistro' environment didn't quite compare with the dining experience we were expecting that night, and the food was actually quite ordinary.

When we eventually asked for the bill, having spent less than an hour over what was intended to be a leisurely and extravagant dinner and having to shout to hear each other while we ate, the manager consulted the chef who said our meal would be complimentary. Absolutely the least they could do I would think.

Overall a very sad a disappointing experience for an evening we had been looking forward to for three months.

2  Thank JillybeanBrisbane

Reviewed January 19, 2014

In a tranquil septieme location. Fun atmosphere. Warm service. Great food
Eggs a la truffe. Water mouthing Ris de veau. Black prune digestif

Reviewed December 28, 2013

This was a great meal from a number of respects. It felt like fine dining but without all the pomp and circumstance that sometimes comes with Michelin stars. The environment was elegant and intimate and the service was welcoming and professional. Le Violon d'Ingres straddles formal and casual dining with much finesse giving you the best of both. Let's not forget about the food -- it was beautifully sublime. The foie gras was amazing, the soft boiled eggs with breadcrumbs lovely and the almond encrusted fish, perfect. Le Violon d'Ingres doesn't try too hard -- no dish was forced or contrived, and everything was well balanced and flavorful. A pitch perfect evening on every level.

2  Thank worldtraveler_1037
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We (my 18 year old and I) celebrated my daughter's 22nd birthday here Perfect if you wish to eat well without a fistful of attitude. If you are travelling with young people they generally like café and casual. This would suit them--and they have an English menu. Rather upscale bistro-style. The egg toast app simple, but good--poulet, filet, all good. I might add that if you are used to American Angus beef, nothing we had in Paris was at the level of a Charlie Palmer or Mastro's. That's not a critique, just letting you steak fans know what to expect.
The food was well-prepared and the atmosphere convivial. They gave us a nice dessert for her b day; we had also ordered Grand Marnier souffle w caramel. The staff was the kindest & most attentive we encountered on our 10 day stay in Paris. There was a mix of locals & expats, & tourists.
Diners wore everything from cocktail dresses to jeans & t-shirt (Parisian teens). I would say dressy casual for we adults.

The title is from a famous photo by Man Ray.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Ate Sunday lunch here weekend after Thanksgiving. My wife started with a country paté and I ate foie-gras (entier). We both rated them excellent. Mine was the best single course I had in a week of eating in Paris. Main course: My wife took the house speciality supreme de bar, crusted with almonds. I ate a special of black pudding and hare - you don't see that every day. Both were very good though I thought the black pudding overawed the hare, the sauce was rich and meaty.

We drank a premier cru chablis and I had a glass of Rhone red with the hare.

We had the "incontestable pie with dark chocolate" as dessert and agreed it was the best dessert of the week.