“Traditional French restaurant”
Review of le trumilou

le trumilou
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
le trumilou is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #896 of 17,885 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Marais
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This restaurant was recommended by some people from Paris as having very traditionally prepared French food and the best fries in Paris. While I skipped the beef tongue after waitress kindly told me what it was, the duck breast with potatoes was delicious! My son had andouillette, a traditional French sausage, which was something he had never tried but liked. And the fries were indeed delicious! This may not be the spot for those interested in foods with which they are familiar and/or food prepared American-style, but I am glad for the experience.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

My partner and I had a reservation for lunch, on the 2nd day of our vacation in Paris. We expected a rather simple bistro for a very good price.

Location and Ambiance:
The restaurant is very easy to find - just next to the Mairie, on the river bank with a view of Ile de la cite. The decor inside is very simple and outdated, and I must admit I didn't find it too charming. The place was nearly empty when we arrived and filled up later on.

Service:
The waiter and waitress were pleasant and nice, the former in particular, smiling around as he dashes from table to table. He spoke some English though we managed with our French quite easily most of the time. There was nothing particularly notable about the service itself, good or bad (which in itself is usually a good thing).

Food:
Both of us took the 3-course menu, which had a decent amount of choice. We started with an assortment of charcuterie and a gizzard salad. We expected sausages, though received 3 terrines along with a green salad. The terrines were quite alright, nothing more, but we were still disappointed. The gizzard salad was also disappointing - the pieces were very large, and the salad very poor with bland dressing. Moreover the lettuce was particularly bitter (and I like all things bitter).

For the main course we had deer meat in a wine sauce with potato fries, as well as a white fish with spinach and roasted vegetables in a cream, mustard-ish sauce. The deer was very good, particularly the sauce which was so deep in taste, really "meaty". The potato wedges were delicious - not too fat, and with an addictive seasoning blend.
The fish was very well done and again the sauce was fantastic. The vegetables were also sweet and delicious, both on their own part as well as with the sauce.

For desserts we had a cheese plate, which was standard, and an "orange gratin". The gratin was in fact a collection of orange fillets swimming in a vanilla sauce with a burnt crust. So in fact it was quite far from a gratin, and the vanilla should have been much more thick in our opinion. However it was delicious nonetheless.

Drinks:
We had a carafe of red wine and water. The wine collection is hardly vast, but there are a few choices from each class and type and the prices were really good. An espresso at the end of the meal was merely OK.

Prices:
While the prix fixe is on the cheap side (20.5€ for 3 courses), 3 of our dishes (the deer, gizzard salad and gratin) were at an extra cost of 2-3€ each. Still, the value is high as some dishes were really well made, and the good wine prices are a plus.

Summary:
On average, our expectations were met - a simple bistro with decent food, service and good prices. De facto some dishes were very disappointing and others were particularly good. The service was good but not notable. The location is central and accessible, but the interior uninviting to our taste. If you're on a budget, its definitely worth it; otherwise - consider someplace else.

Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

We ate here on a Friday evening around 8.30. Restaurant was busy with mainly French people. After a 15 minute delay, while we took a drink at the bar, we were shown to out table. Food was good and prices reasonable. 3 courses with wine 40 Euros.

1  Thank Derekwozthere
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Le Trumilou is not the fanciest restaurant you'll find in this wonderful city. But it's casual atmosphere and wonderful food keep us coming back for more. We love the now-famous duck in prune sauce and come back for it every time. Escargot: nothing fancy, but nobody does it better. The beef tartare was absolutely delicious...our waitress allowed me to choose the ingredients to mix in myself, or I could let her do it. I wisely chose to let her do it, and it was perfect. One of the few places we always find our favorite bottle of French wine: a rose Sancerre. Nothing too complicated here...nothing rushed. But that's just the way we like it.
My wife and I got engaged in Paris back in 2002, and this was the place we were having so much fun that we missed our flight home! We'll be back!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I've eaten at Le Trumilou 7 or 8 times over the last 15 years, and it never fails to deliver. It's on the Right Bank, facing the Seine, (84 Quai de l'Hotel de Ville) and the service is exceptionally friendly (not always the case in Paris). Their specialty -- Canard aux pruneaux (Duck with plums cooked in wine and honey) is to die for -- Incredibly generous portions, served with loads of crisp frites and is really memorable. Deserts are also excellent -- especially the Poire belle Helene and the Oeuf a la Neige (large soft merinque floating in white custard). It's my favourite restaurant in Paris and the prices are reasonable too.

1  Thank Lepinsky