“Simple but great”

Neighborhood: Montparnasse
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Simple but great”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Good entrecote, always nice service.
Funny place to be. No choice, but then all ingredients are very good. Cheese platter good as well.

Visited May 2014

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Best steakhouse”
Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

This is the best steakhouse of Paris!!!!
You can t make any
reservation:((
Meat is amazing....
Also french fries...
Its an obligation to pass there when you travel in Paris
Very very good

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank LadyrockZ
Miami Beach, Florida
“Yes! Yes! Yes! We Loved It!”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

If you visit any one of the three locations of Le Relais de l'Entrecote in Paris, you may be surprised to see that there are no menus. Everyone eats the same meal, and what a meal it is! Now, just to be clear, this isn't five-star cuisine, but it is, however, a great, great meal that any steak-lover will enjoy. Those of us from the United States tend to believe that our steaks are among the best in the world, but the steaks at this restaurant are delicious. Steak lovers will not be disappointed. When you arrive at the restaurant, your server (always female, and always wearing their signature black-and-white maid's uniform) asks each patron one question: "what steak temperature would you like?". That's about it to the whole ordering process (unless you want to order a bottle of wine or other drinks). But, for food, you get bread, a salad and steak frites. That's it. I enjoyed it so much, I went there two nights in a row.

For the most part, if you don't speak French, the server will not make an issue out of it. In fact, the servers are very friendly and helpful, all fluent in English. But, for ordering your steak, say "bleu (blue)" for rare, "sanguinay" for medium rare or "rose" for medium. If you like your steak any tougher, stay away from this restaurant. They believe, as I do, that a steak should have at least some red in it!

The salad course is simple, but delicious. It has lettuce, walnuts and a Dijon-mustard based dressing. Sometimes the simple things are the best, and you will enjoy this salad. I devoured mine.

Then, the steak frites come. I wasn't sure what the exact cut of steak is that they serve, but it is either a rib-eye or sirloin. In either case, it's prepared exactly as you ordered it, cut into slices, and served smothered in a signature house sauce, certainly with Dijon mustard as its base. And, the plate is further smothered with a generous helping of thin-cut fries. Your server serves you half you steak and fries first, while the second half sits nearby with banquet candles lit under the serving dishes. I promise you that you will lick your plate clean, grabbing the delicious bread and swabbing whatever sauce is left. And, just when you finish that first plate, your server brings the second half, and you do it all over again. No plates are left empty, and neither will yours.

Now, a few important notes to help make your visit memorable. The method of this restaurant is to serve you as fast as humanly possible, and then send you off while the next patrons arrive. The timing of bread, salad, then steak frites is very fast, so be aware of that. It looks like chaos sometimes, with servers running through the restaurant at full speed. I would suggest waiting for your salad, and then handing your server a 5 or 10 Euro note, simply asking her to wait until you are ready for your steak. She will comply, and with a smile.

On another note, there are no reservations accepted, and there is always a queue. However, don't be alarmed if you arrive and see 50 people in the queue. It moves very quickly (for reasons I have described above). They move people through the restaurant at a pace that I haven't seen anywhere else.

If you are offended by cigarette smoke, note that the closer you sit to the front windows, the more you will have smoke in your face as you eat (there is no smoking inside the restaurant, so all the smokers sit outside, in front). So, ask the host who seats you to move you more into the center of the restaurant.

And, my final note is about the preparation of the food. On two nights I had two different experiences. On the first night, the pace of service was slowed down at my request. The steak and frites arrived piping hot and full of flavor. However, on the second night, my server appeared to have more on her hands than she could handle, and I suspect that my food sat for a short while before it came out. As such, it didn't have as good a flavor as the night before. And, the steak wasn't hot, it was lukewarm. I merely mentioned this to the server, and she came back with a fresh portion of steak and frites, and it was stellar. So, if your meal isn't hot and delicious, just get it replaced.

I have read many TripAdvisor reviews of this restaurant, and I agree with all those folks who raved about it. Alas, there are always some negative people who are not easy to satisfy, but from my perspective, everyone who dines here should love it immensely. Oh yeah, and it's a fun and lively place! You can't ask for more value, at 26 Euros a head for the whole meal!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Mark Z
“Best "fastfood" ever!”
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Here they only have one dish: "entrecôte", but it is delicious. Better que in time 'cause it's popular. Service is good and we had a really nice dinner here; a must when visiting Paris!

1 Thank Johannes B
Orlando
“Enjoyed it”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

I go to the one in NYC so I know what it is all about and had my big eater nephew with me. The prices are so reasonable for Paris. The night we went (about 7) was no line at all. We were seated promptly and the waitress was very nice. I like their steaks and the sauce. They were prepared as we wanted and their "frites" are excellent. They also came around with seconds on both and I liked their champagne by the glass. All in all, it is a good meal. Not gourmet or exceptional but you can depend on it and walk out not feeling ripped off so I am surprised to see someone thought it was a rip off. In Paris, everything is so expensive, this to me seemed to be a good value and my nephew loved it.

• Visited July 2014