“Excellent, but don't expect it to be like an American Steak House”

Le Relais de l'Entrecote
Ranked #717 of 17,505 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Montparnasse
Reviewed February 7, 2013

This is an updated review from one I wrote in 2006, as we always go a few times a year. The only difference these days is there is no smoking inside anymore. Also of note: The Relais de l'Entrecote is a chain with four restaurants in the Paris and one in Geneva, Switzerland. We prefer the one in Saint-Germain at 20 Rue Saint-Benoît. We never make reservations, there's usually only a short line to be seated. I don't know if they even take reservations.

Before deciding on going to a steakhouse in France, it's important to know that the French entrecote is really the eye of the rib--but French cattle are bred differently and all French beef (this IS a big beef-eating country) are different than in the USA. You are not going to get an oversized, aged piece of USDA Prime meat--French beef is not as fatty, nor do the French eat gargantuan portions like in American steak houses.

But, if you want a great French entrecote, the Relais IS the place. No restaurant is simpler. You'll only have a few choices to make as there is only item on the menu:
1. How do you want your meat cooked? Seignant (rare) or a point (medium)?
2.. What do you want to drink? Their house (rouge) red is terrific--you can order a half or whole bottle--and of course water--bottled, gassed, or tap water.
3. Would you like dessert--if you don't read French, stop in the front of the restaurant and peruse their desserts before you sit down to dinner--they are wonderful.
4. And finally, do you want coffee or something after dinner?

One caveat, unlike most French restaurants, this is a fast-paced place. As soon as one is seated, a very efficient waitress will bring you a salad, a basket of bread, and a wine menu. She will ask you how you want your meat...and then all you do is sit back and enjoy the repast. Your inch-thick steak will be sliced vertically, and covered in a light dijon sauce. There will be a spicy Dijon mustard available along with salt and pepper for condiments. You will be served hot, freshly cut French fries..and when your plate is empty, your server will replenish your fries and steak from the serving dish which is kept warm near your table.

It's not fancy, but it is fun, and particularly good for taking a family including those with limited palates.

3  Thank parisamour
There are newer reviews for Le Relais de l'Entrecote

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Just delicious!!!Easy to find,no reservations,tourists and locals dine here.Fantastic l entrecote nice desserts.A very nice place to eat delivious meal.I highly recomend cafe gourmand for desert.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Here´s the following. The first time I went to the one closer to Louvre Musueum, the experience was great. The style is perfect, set menu with the entrecote in pices with a secret sauce, and the fries are out of this world. Now, I tried to change La Coupolle in Blvd Montparnasse for a while, and crossed the road to the other franchise of this. Well, what I said was 5 years ago, now something has changed.
Starting by the service. It was CRAPPY, I mean, the maitre or recepcionist was trying to impose where I was supose to seat, then finally I asked for a nice table and it was perfect. The sauce still very good, but did not surprise me as before, don´t know exactly why. The french fries were absolutely perfect, I wonder how they do that. Service os the waiter was ok.
The only thing that really bothered me is that as many customers were arriving, no seats available, not only me, but with others, they were somehow pushing us to finish lunch faster, and this was really annoying. But, at the rest, I judge it pleasant and cost-benefit one of the best in Paris. But go to other than Bld Montparnasse...There are more two houses in Paris.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Delicious and plenty of serving. Just make sure you get there early otherwise a long queue but even the wait is well worth it! Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, recommend this restaurant to everybody and I will be back for sure.

1  Thank MaryamBanoo
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited Paris in January, we set off to to restaurant and it started to snow so when we got there and there was still a queue we knew that it had to be good. We were lucky to be seated quicker than some queuing as there was just two of us. The salad was delicious, and they bring the steak out fairly quickly. The meat was perfectly cooked (medium) and the frites were lovely, I don't know what was in the sauce but it was amazing - make sure you save your bread to mop it up as they bring second helpings. The profiteroles were to die for! The service is very efficient and our waitress was very friendly, although they serve alot of people we did not feel rushed at all. This place is really good fun, would definitely recommend!