“Nice chef, good food, weird wine list”
Review of Le Pre Verre

Le Pre Verre
Ranked #638 of 17,407 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Quartier Latin
Description: Located in the heart of Paris in the famous Latin Quarter, Le Pré Verre is far from the bustle and frenzy of the rue de la Huchette, a typical street in this district. Its concept: our kitchen, entirely homemade and based on fresh products. Our restaurant distinguishes itself by having a certain creativity, mixing spices in a subtle and balanced manner. An all-inclusive mid-day menu with starter and daily main dish, glass of wine and coffee for the unbeatable value of 14.50 Euros. If you wish to order individual items off the menu, we offer a special menu that includes an appetizer, main plate, and dessert so you can sample all flavors, for only 32.00 euros.
Windsor, United Kingdom
“Nice chef, good food, weird wine list”
Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

Nice, busy, cosy little place. Menu of three courses priced at 30 euros is a bargain. Wine list is a bit unbalanced and weird. I couldn't find something descent to drink without of course emptying my bank account.

Having read about the Asian influence on the French dishes I admit I was expecting it to be a bit more obvious. The squid and the suckling pig dishes did not have anything asian (unless they were raised in Asia)

The service is young and friendly but it finds it hard to cope with 50 or more starving people. I can't blame them (both the staff and the customers I mean!)

The desert, a cute fig and ice cream combination (photo) was probably the best part of the dinner.

I expected more, but I definitely intent to give it another try!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Decent”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I really wanted to like this place. It was close to our apartment we were renting, the atmosphere was buzzing, the menu looked great, the reviews were mixed (but aren't they always)... But, it was the one place I've been to in Paris where the service was just intolerable. I don't mind cool attitudes, no English (prefer it actually), disappearing staff (they always appear if you start to leave), but the one thing I hate is if they act annoyed with you. I usually will even tolerate that if the food is good, but it was just okay. The chicken was the best thing we had all night...except for the chocolate dessert. :)
If you are in the neighborhood, give it a try. Maybe it was just an off night! I'd give it another shot if I was!

Hudson Valley, NY
“Interesting Food, Lively Atmosphere”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I had a very enjoyable dinner here with colleagues. Food is interesting and original. My own experience was mixed--the chestnut soup with cocoa beans was to die for, but my fish seemed overcooked and bland. The carnivores in my party were much happier with their choices. In fact, I'd say that this is definitely NOT a restaurant for vegetarians. Be sure to reserve for dinner--it's a small place and was packed the night we went. I'd love to go back for lunch someday and sit outdoors.

Perth, Australia
“Very fresh and tasty food”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This restaurant was recommended as being very good value for lunch. We arrived at 1:50pm to a packed restaurant but the staff were very patient and accommodating. We chose to sit outside despite the drizzle because of the fresh air aspect and we were glad that we did. The food was delicious and the service was prompt and friendly. Try this place for lunch if you are in the Pantheon area/Latin quarter.

Cork, Ireland
“On the fence...”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Had an dinner here on a Saturday evening, and the experience was somewhat mixed. The atmosphere was quite lively and pleasant, and food was interesting, but I could not decide whether the chef was mad genius or mad hatter. My starter of marinated sardines with vegetable terrine was fresh and tasty, but my husband's hure de cochon (pig's head terrine) had quite a bit of gristle and even pieces of bone. For mains we had the skate wing (nothing wrong with that but lacked any wow factor) and suckling pig (a bit one-dimensional, everything was soft and mellow, but it would have needed a little bit of something to lift it up, as it were). Deserts, caramelised figs with olive oil ice cream and black sesame custarrd with red pepper ice cream were both good.

All in all, I would have given 4 stars if it weren't for the waiter.

He spoke quite good English, and I am guessing he may have worked in the UK as he had picked up two very bad habits that are common there.

1. When I asked for water, he responded "still or sparkling?". This is how they "trick" you in the UK to buy expensive bottled water. However this was never done anywhere else in Paris - when you ask for water, they bring you a carafe of tap water. If you want bottled, you ask specifically for Evian, Perrier etc.

2. But what was worse, when we paid in cash, he did not bring the change back. OK, I know that even if the bill is service compris/prix nets, it is considered good manners to leave a little extra for good service. But nevertheless, this is not an obligation and the waiter cannot just assume he can keep the change. To me, this is simply unacceptable. Again, this never happened anywhere else.

1 Thank Nettle