“Awesome!”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Quartier Latin
Description: Le Petit Pontoise is a genuine institution of the 5th district in Paris. It offers typical rich French cuisine in a "bistrot" atmosphere. The chef has been there for over 14 years preparing sophisticated dishes with fresh season products. He finds his inspiration in the most traditional French recipes. Located right next to the Seine river near the Boulevard Saint-Germain, this bistrot is always fully booked, you will meet people from around the world as well as regular Parisian clients which enjoy this typical French cuisine.
Reviewed August 24, 2016

Definitely one of our best dinners in Paris. Was helped by the service being so great even though they had to move us they gave us champagne. We got a pretty incredible foie gras followed by duck (my gf) and chicken (me). Gotta say, I LOVE chicken and this one was right on. They even give you the option of leg or breast which is literally unheard of in restaurants. Finally, we had a Tarte Tatin (apple pie turnover) which is impossible to make well unless you know what you're doing, and they knew what they were doing. Such a great night, super well lit restaurant but what's there not to show when your food is that great.

Date of visit: August 2016
Write a reviewReviews (1,135)

Reviewed August 20, 2016 via mobile

This is the best restaurant we have found in Paris
It is not swish or swanky , traditional French rustic cuisine
It is not cheap but in this case you pay for what you get !
Fantastic service fantastic food
One quibble 10 euro for a beer lol

Reviewed August 19, 2016

When planning my first trip to Paris, this self-professed foodie was like a kid on Christmas Eve, hardly able to contain myself in anticipation of the dining adventures upon which I was about to embark in one of the food capitals of the world. Unfortunately, I didn't have that, "Oh my God!" moment until we dined at this restaurant on our 4th night in the city.

My first indication of the spectacular culinary experience to come was the indescribable aroma that hit us upon entering the restaurant. Whatever it was that they were making back in that kitchen, you just knew by the smell that it had to taste good.

Our dinner was amazing from beginning to end, with the highlights of the meal being the Pig Cheeks With Honey and Sweet Spices that my daughter had as an entree, and the Tarte Tatin that my wife and I shared for dessert. I think that we must have gone through 3 or 4 baguettes lapping up the sauces that remained from our various dishes.

Our service was very good and "foreign-friendly". Menus in both French and English were available, and our servers were more that helpful with recommendations.

If you want to dine at a quintessential French bistro, look no further. This is the place to go.

Reviewed August 18, 2016

The restaurant is very nice, they have also a english menu (which is a huge plus).
The food is very delicious, I highly suggest you the duck which is SO tasty. I appreciated also the tarte tatin. The waiters are very kind and will help you for any need you have (including explaining the food)/ In 2 people we paid 86 euros which is good in paris for this kind of quality!

Reviewed August 17, 2016

I was just on a meander, and wound up sitting down at this place, a few minutes' walk from my hotel. I chatted with my neighbours, an American couple also visiting Paris for work, and they kindly shared their wine with me.

This was classic bistro food: artichoke tart, roast chicken with apple (I think?), a couple cheeses I'd never heard of that were nonetheless excellent. But all very good, and a couple surprising notes, like fruit with the chicken, and some real depth of flavour to the artichoke tart. Also, quite expensive...

Date of visit: June 2016