“My Best Meal in Paris”
Review of Le Petit Pontoise

Le Petit Pontoise
Reserve with
Le Petit Pontoise is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #203 of 18,008 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Odeon / Saint-Michel
Description: Le Petit Pontoise is a genuine institution of the 5th district in Paris. It offers typical rich French cuisine in a "bistrot" atmosphere. The chef has been there for over 14 years preparing sophisticated dishes with fresh season products. He finds his inspiration in the most traditional French recipes. Located right next to the Seine river near the Boulevard Saint-Germain, this bistrot is always fully booked, you will meet people from around the world as well as regular Parisian clients which enjoy this typical French cuisine.
Reviewed October 17, 2012

There were six of us who dined here with reservations several weeks in advance.
It is a cozy smallish restaurant - about a 15 min walk from Ils St Louis.
I believe our waiter was the Chef/owners son who was delightful. It really is difficult to make a selection as everything sounded marvelous.
Many of us ordered the Rack of Lamb - It was perfection! The light sauce was amazing as were the roasted vegetables in the dish. A side order of mashed potatoes were ordered and I dont think I have ever tasted such silky and delicious potatoes ever.
My starter was the Artichoke Tartin - again perfection , others had the mushrooms and snails which were divine.
There is a good wine selection.
Great value for the money -
We are going back in 10 months and this will be first on my list!!!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

The food here is spectacularly good, although the restaurant itself is small and quaint and not spectacular. It is a few streets east of Le Quartier Latin off the Quai de Montebello. The restaurant is so popular, the proprietor was not happy to seat me as a lone diner, but I would take up one of the valuable tables for two. Fortunately, a jolly group of Fashion Week attendees adopted me & invited me to their table. We sampled, between the eight of us, most everything on the menu, including several of the excellent wines. When we were done, we were all stuffed - and, when the bill came, nearly broke. But it still ranks as my best meal ever in Paris. And that's saying something. There is some outside seating, in good weather. Only room for about 40 diners inside, however. Reservations recommended.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Years ago we stayed at a small hotel around the corner from Le Petit Pontoise restaurant and stopped in for a meal. We've been returning on every trip to Paris since then. A small restaurant serving typical dishes one would expect to find in a French bistrôt, but prepared better than anywhere else. Whether you start with snails or a terrine or as I did on this trip a tarte with artichokes and eggplant you are sure to have the freshest the market offers. The main courses are quite substantial and it's the kind of meal perfect for an autumn day with a morning temperature of 8 C. Both my main course of quail and my husband's of kidneys were served in the pan they had been cooked in and came to the table piping hot and delicious.For the more cautious, I observed some yummy looking meat dishes being served. As one might expect English is spoken fluently althought the clientele seemed to be mostly locals and regulars who were greeted by name. This is a place to return to time and time again.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We went to the restaurant on a Saturday night at 7PM. We didn't have a reservation but the proprietor let us stay if we could finish our meal in an hour. One of our best meals during our stay. The mushroom and snail appetizers were out of this world. The entrees were lamb chops and quail - both were just as delicious. We had a chocolate cake that was very good. The Margeaux wine was excellent. Prices were on the high side during our stay in Paris but worth every penny. The restaurant is small as we were seated close to 2-person tables to our right and left but struck up a very nice conversation with the Canadian couple next to us. Definitely make reservations if you come here; people were turned away or seated outside but it was a little chilly. Even though gratuity is added to the bill, we left another 20 euros because we finished our meal at 8:30 but they never rushed us nor did we feel rushed.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We happened upon this restaurant by accident as it was on the way to where we were staying. It was very crowded but we managed to get the last table. The staff were very pleasant and the food was quite tasty. The prices were decent given the quality of food. I would recommend it if you are in the area and looking for a using, reasonably priced bistro!