“A little Surprise in Paris”
Review of Le Gavroche

Le Gavroche
Ranked #2,122 of 17,881 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Opera / Bourse
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I had two dinners at Le Gavroche and the first time was a Surprise to find this small and typical restaurant behind the Palais de la Bourse. The food is good, authentic and the price is affordable. The House wine is very nice too. The guys are all super smiling and helping in translations and Service (rare things in Paris!!).

1  Thank SilviaLoGiudice

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The short story about La Gavroche is: Great food, location (Bourse), service, not overly expensive, friendly staff, a bustling atmosphere, filled with business people mostly. I highly recommend it.

The longer story: Went to La Gavroche for my first ever lunch in Paris in mid-May with my wife (we're from Virginia in the U.S.) and two California friends with whom we tavelled. It was crowded with mostly business people and assorted local residents, most of whom seemed to know each other, and all of whom seemed to know each of the staff. We waited inside for a few minutes near the bar, waiting for a table to become open. and since we don't speak much French, the staff seemed to go out of their way to make sure we were comfortable waiting. The bartender reached over and gave each of the four of us a wine glass, and proceeded to fill each glass with their very excellent house wine,as we waited. We also got to meet their dog Popeye, who snoozed near us under a table, and he was very sweet. A complimentary plate of sliced sausage appeared after it became clear our wait would be a few minutes. We enjoyed waiting because we got to watch the fish monger and his wife make a delivery of fresh fish past us to the kitchen door, after which I noticed the bartender poured each of them a small glass of white wine, which they drank standing right next to us, with smiles all around. It was a nice, neighborly gesture. I was impressed with the teamwork displayed by the entire staff, as they all seemed to pitch in to make things go smoothly, and despite the hectic atmosphere, they really had it under control. A person could learn a lot about food service by watching this team of true professionals work under pressure. Once seated, we each had either a beef or a fish dish, and all agreed it was fabulous food. Some of the nearby diners, all French natives, spoke to us in English/French and made us feel very welcome, with one gentleman I thought was in maybe his early 70s paying particular attention to my wife, and chatting her up and smiling, completely in French. He was smartly dressed in a suit and seemed to wish he was nowhere else for the moment, but laughing and smiling with us, my wife in particular. After they got up to leave, his friend, another businessman, told us that the guy flirting so adroitly with my wife was 90 years old, and the two men had been meeting there for lunch weekly for the past 30 years.
We sat there, ate heartily, drank some wonderful wine, lingered over dessert and coffee, and by the time we paid (the waiter checked us out in about 20 seconds at our table using a hand-held, card-swipe tool) and stood up to leave I realized to my amazement that we had been there for about 2 and 1/2 hours. Time stood still and we enjoyed life that day.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

A very friendly atmosphere, with quaint red, checkered table cloths, we were warmly welcomed and enjoyed a delicious meal of beautifully cooked lamb and a lovely house red wine. We topped off the evening with a melt-in-your-mouth rum cake and a strong demi-tasse of espresso. Yummy!

2  Thank anneoc1
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We arrived about 21:30 with no reservation on a Friday night in February - boy, were we lucky to get a table! The tablesare very close together but that just gets different parties talking to each other. Menu is completely in French so it helps if you understand the language but the waiters will also help in English.

The starters & mains were superb - try the "lamb chop", it's actually gigot but gorgeous - and we also had a bottle of Rosé with the meal. Warning, if you have the Rum Baba for dessert make sure you aren't driving -it's absolutely saturated in Rum!

3 courses, coffees, water & a bottle of Rosé came to €82. You will pay far more and enjoy worse food in the Opera area for sure. Highly recommended.

3  Thank Iainmac7299
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I know this restaurant since the early 2000s, when a Parisian friend of ours took us there. I used to eat there at least monthly in the 2002-2004 period, but have not visited the place since 2006 or 2007.

The restaurant is more a small bistro with tables one next to another, located in the center of Paris, quite close to Opera Garnier and other important avenues with important businesses in its vicinty (the Paris Stock Exchange - La Bourse, BNP Paribas, LCL - ex Credit Lyonnais, etc.).

The food is good, and their famous dish - cote de boeuf prepared for 2 is quite tasty, though, at least to my impression, the quality of the dishes has decreased a little compared to some years ago.
What I find interesting, though, is that all foreign reviewers give the restaurant a very positive review, while the French ones are not happy with the service (quite strange in a country where it's difficult to find a waiter or a bartender smiling back, though I have to underline this is not necessarily a minus for the service) and the quality of its wines.

I give the restaurant 3 out of 5 stars; in the end, it's nothing exceptional - not the food or the service, and not the restaurant itself. On the positive note, due to its dishes (mostly grilled meat) it's easier to appeal to foreign visitors not used with French food (duck leg, rabbit, etc.).