“A Memorable Meal” 5 of 5 bubbles

Le Comptoir du Relais
Ranked #717 of 16,717 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French, European, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Odeon / Saint-Michel
Denver
“A Memorable Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

It more than lives up to its reputation for exceptional cuisine! We dined outside on a rainy afternoon and the weather could not dampen the atmosphere or the experience. The escargot were tender. The lambe was exquisitely prepared and the beef daube was sublime. A wonderful experience and worth the wait in line to get a table.

• Visited May 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
“Very Good and Very French”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

We really liked this restaurant and had a great experience.
The food was excellent. The dishes were flavorful and authentic with fresh ingredients.
The service was...well it was French. I have been to many French restaurants, so I am not phased by anything anymore. However, if you have never been to France and just arrived in Paris I would not start at this place. You need a few cafes under your belt before you can appreciate this place.
The ambience was typical Parisian, cozy and quaint.
The location is very convenient and close to the Luxembourg Gardens.
Overall is was a very good value for the experience.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank tompkins777
San Francisco
“A great restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014

My wife and I have eaten here on both of our visits to Paris, and we enjoyed both experiences greatly. I hear many people mention how difficult it is to get a table, and perhaps if you eat at the same time as the rest of Paris (later in the evening, at least for us Americans, 8:00pm and later), it is challenging to get seated. Our method is to go for an early dinner (5:30 or 6:00) and grab a table out front.

On our first visit we had only intended to have a glass of wine and perhaps an appetizer. I don't think the waiter was too thrilled with that idea, but he was accommodating nevertheless. We got our wine and were enjoying the people-watching when we started to see what the family two tables over from us had gotten for their dinner. I only need to see food, or think about eating, in order to work up an appetite. After a few minutes of salivating over our neighbors plates we decided that it wasn't too early for us to eat, too.

My main memory was of a roast chicken I ordered. Sounds simple, but it is something I still think about to this day, three years later. It was done perfectly. My wife had a seared tuna steak. Again, it sounds simple, but it was so delicious.

We had such a great time, and the location is just perfect. You see a lot of people who appear to be on their way home after work, or heading out to begin their evening. Even though St. Germain does feel a bit touristy, there are also many locals around, and at Le Comptoir it was no different. It seems to be a bit of a gathering spot for the neighborhood, and it's the perfect kind of place to visit when you want to sink into the daily life of a beautiful and vibrant city. I am sure we will return to Le Comptoir on every future visit to Paris, and I am confident we will never walk away disappointed.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Daniel I
Hummelstown
“La Favorite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014

We read an article about Yves Camdeborde's bistro which is attached to the hotel that he and his wife run some years ago and have been coming ever since.

By day it is a casual, no-reservations place with a blackboard menu (actually a mirror) in addition to a huge carte of salads, appetizers and main dishes.

At night, it caters to the hotel guests, but we hope to manage dinner on our next trip to Paris. Dinner is a prix fixe affair and the menu looked really good.

On our last visit we ate here twice as we enjoy it so much! We began with foie gras, then Carol had perfectly rare tuna whil I had deconstructed stuffed pig's foot. We got talked into a sort of lemon tart for dessert and it was definitely worth the calories.

Everything is attractively presented and bursting with flavor. M. Camdeborde is usually around and always willing to speak with the guests, though he is always in a hurry.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank HanoiIG
New Haven, Connecticut
“A Must Visit Spot in Paris”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

Le Comptoir du Relais was recommended to me on my trip to Paris. It is located in the Saint Germaine Hotel. I tried having my concierge make reservations, but he had difficulty getting through to the restaurant because he kept getting the hotel lobby, so we took our chances and just showed up.

The restaurant was small (maybe 40 covers) with very tightly packed outdoor seating in tables of 2 (based on the weather). There was a line of about a dozen people in front of us waiting to eat. Surprisingly, the line moved quickly and we got lucky and were seated inside at a 4 top (even though there was only 2 of us). The menu was vast and written in French. We did not speak French that well, so one of the 2 servers that were working came over and explained the menu to us in near perfect English. He was extremely polite and very helpful.

The food was fantastic and the atmosphere was bustling but comfortable. It seemed that there we only 2 servers and the owner and his wife on premise. Attention to detail was not missed during our meal. Fantastic appetizers and mouth watering entrees were on the menu. They also had a very expansive dessert menu. We got the pot de crème and chocolate mousse. I would recommend both. We really enjoyed the experience and also the food. This was my 2nd favorite meal on our weeklong trip to Paris. I highly recommend it for the for and ALSO for the great service.

• Visited April 2014