“RE-visit every time I am in Paris”

Le Comptoir du Relais
Ranked #666 of 17,611 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I cannot explain the food because i am foodie, and of the opinion food must be tasted. But it was orgasmic. Very good. Amazing. Mouth-watering. Wonderful.
The only - note i would leave is the waiting time. For which (because i have visited so many times and i have learned from experience) you can ask the waiter to have your name taken down, and they call you in the little bar next door (l'avant de comptoir) enjoy the wine there BUT DO NOT ORDER FOOD (or do, but at your own risk) because the food is equally good and will risk not being enough hungry when going for the real meal.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Taste sensation. We shared an entree and enjoyed a main course each. Flavours were amazing. The pulled pork with lentils was a stand out. Servings are generous and beautifully presented. I just wish Camdeborde produced his cookbooks in English. I'd buy them all.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I am really not that hard to please, but I will call it like I see it, and I don't fall for the hype most places receive. You shouldn't, either.

I like Yves Camdeborde, and I eat at most of his restaurants several times each year. Today was the first chance I had to actually get a seat here, so I went in for lunch before going to the movies. Lucky me, I was given the only table available - inside, right next to the door where the waiters were making constant trips back and forth - which meant that I had to be very careful how I waved my fork around. It was cold, cramped, and not the most hospitable place to enjoy a decent meal, but I stayed because I was curious. Though this was officially a table for two, there is no way a couple could have sat here comfortably.

So - constant gusts of cold air aside, the food was good. Not great, but quite decent. Paleron de boeuf with vegetables in a good wine sauce that had a lot of vinegar added, for some reason; good bread; a terrible dessert - basically whipped cream barely flavored with chocolate; short pours on the wine by the glass; coffee with a tiny cookie. 38 euros - all gone within 30 minutes...

I think I would have enjoyed it more if I could have relaxed a bit - the needlessly busy atmosphere makes you feel you should hurry up and leave, already. People on the sidewalk hover over tables, using telepathic force to make customers disappear. The service leaves a lot to be desired - I have seen neighborhood cafes much larger and busier than this place, where one or two waiters handle everything smoothly. There are a total of 26 seats inside, and about the same outside, and I counted 3 waiters, a maitre d' and a barman handling all beverages. I don't know why service is so abrupt and sketchy - my order was taken, but I had to wait until I was half-finished before my glass of wine appeared. Dessert, coffee and the bill arrived at the same time, which is highly unusual. Non-French-speaking tourists were not treated kindly, and left to figure out the menu for themselves.

This is a very busy place, and if you are looking to enjoy a leisurely meal or drinks, you had better start hitting the pavement. On the other hand, if you are they type of person who likes to take Instagram photos of your meal, the menu, the interior and your fellow diners - and if you really didn't come here for the food - you would probably love this place. You will also have lots of company. Just not me.

3  Thank pattyinparis
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Definitely it s an option if you are around but not to travel for aking lunch or dinner. The personal a little bit agressive but the food was ok. It s great to stay on the terrace to feel the vibe of the zone and to see the moving picture .

Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Went her on a Monday evening. Waited in an orderly cue for 30 mins to be seated while nearby cafés/bistros had empty seats. Generally worth wait. Food and wine above average. Great atmosphere. Recommend