“Elegant Surprise”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Champs-Elysees
Reviewed January 1, 2012

On this trip to France, I'd been on a quest for those delightful merinque and ganache pastries called macarons. I'd savored some in the south of France and at La Duree in Paris and at a small Lenotre pastry shop near our Paris hotel. The Lenotre macarons were tastier, in my opinion, than La Duree's, so I'm especially embarrassed to admit we stopped at Cafe Lenotre on Avenue des Champs-Elysees only to use les toilettes and quench our thirst with a cup of tea. When we saw the menu, price shock almost goosed us out of our seats and right out the door. But I am SO GLAD we stayed. My 7 euro cup of hot cocoa was as close to divine as I can imagine. Before Cafe Lenotre, I could not have imagined cocoa so silken and rich. We were on a tight budget so did not order lunch, but if the food was anything like the cocoa, it would be worth splurging. Another reason I was glad for the Cafe Lenotre experience is the ambience. The service was gracious and the surroundings were peaceful. My photo is of the magnificent carved and painted ceiling section I saw from my chair. Amid the hustle and bustle of the Avenue des Champs-Elysees, we savored our cocoa in a sanctuary as beautiful as Paris itself.

Reviewed April 21, 2011

A group of six reserved a table for lunch and ate outdoors on what proved to be a gorgeous afternoon. The staff immediately (and inaccurately) pegged us as tourists and treated us somewhat superciliously, especially compared to the warmth of the service at surrounding tables.
The setting was lovely, and the food admirable. All the fish dishes were excellent, sauces were very fine, those who ordered millefeuilles were astounded by the size of the dessert, especially since servings were rather petite overall, and the lemon/macaron tartlet with fresh raspberries was superb.
Still, for all the upscale pretensions, service was lacking. Dishes served to the wrong diners (despite being read off of notes), last plates of a course delivered as much as five minutes after the first, and most surprising - after a waiter dropped a pile of dishes and glasses, the largest pieces were picked up, but the staff spent the next 30 minutes walking around the rest and kicking them out of the way.
The location and setting, and quality of the food, put prices into reasonable perspective, but the tone and atmosphere lead one to expect a more polished presentation.
This was by no means a bad experience, and I would return to the cafe - or recommend it - based on its strengths, but prepared for the soft spots.

Reviewed February 9, 2010

Beautiful gardens overlooking the Champs elysee and the palais elysee. Great place to people watch and to just sit and spoil yourself. the menu is outstanding, the champagne fresh and cold, food and service are outstanding, so was the presentation.

I strongly recommend this restaurant, the somewhat higher price is justified by what you are getting in terms of service, food and location.

1  Thank Globetrotter25
Reviewed February 9, 2010

I didn't think Lenotre was worth the money or time. Skip it and go to Laduree or any other quaint cafe on the side streets. Laduree is far superior to Lenotre.

2  Thank ParisIsMyLover
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed April 27, 2008

Great food...really memorable in summertime as you can sit in the beautiful garden and look at the historic mansion or the people walking along le grand avenue...

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook