“Run of the mill food”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bastille / Oberkampf
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We choose this small bistro based on a review in a popular Parisian travel book. The welcome was warm and we were soon seated, only to be asked to move since 'our table' had been reserved by another party (French). The menu was unimaginative and rather 'run of the mill'. I ordered Chicken and Chips and most of the party followed suit. It arrived promptly and was typical of the old pub grub favourite 'chicken and chips in a basket'. Chips oily & slightly over cooked and the chicken a little on the tough side.

I found the non-alcoholic range of drinks a real positive, it's not easy to find such drinks in the smaller Paris bistros. Not inspired and not worthy of a second visit.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

we had read about this bistro and travelled quite a long way to see it. My reservation had not been noted despite my having done it by e mail some 3 weeks ago. he staff however were most accommodating . as I was with my daughter on a special weekend I was most keen for this to work and we initially a little concerned. In the end we really enjoyed both the food, the atmosphere and the fact that it was a " real " experience. Our bill came to 90 euros which included 2 glasses of house champagne ( excellent.), a carafe of Chardonnay, a shared plate of snails, an entrecôte steak, duck , a shared orange and almond tart ( massive and easily shared) and 2 coffees.

1  Thank likesquality
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Visited this restaurant 10/2013 because it had decent reviews on TA and it was within reasonable walking distance from our Hotel Terminus de Lyon. Reviews mention that a reservation was advisable since it was a popular place so we did so. When we arrived the placed was almost packed but the reservation we made was noted and we were seated right away. Menu was OK and typical bistrot offerings but not particularly expansive. I had a country pate that was pretty mediocre, a Andouille sausage plate that was pretty bland, and a side of some excellent au gratin potatoes. Mt wife had an excellent bowl of onion soup, a very ordinary dish of half a roasted chicken, and the usual serving of excellent french fries. For dessert we both had a slice of orange tart with almond cream that was not at all good, crust was tough and dry, same for the filling, and the almond cream was both skimpy and flavorless. Prices were moderate but not justified on basis of quality of food. Service was helter-skelter. Second-hand smoke was heavy since the patio had opened windows facing the inside of the restaurant where we were sitting. Overall, a "meh" place that we wouldn't recommend very highly,.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Dropped in for a beer early morning attracted by the wonderful art nouveau exterior which continues inside with trompe l'oeil ceilings and a certain faded charm. The staff were getting ready for lunch but very politely dressed tables around me as I sat writing, reading and nursing a drink . Watched the world go by.

1  Thank LargelyMonk
Reviewed October 23, 2013

It's an easy to reach location nto to far form the Bastille. The wait staff was friendly and helpful.
We had their onion soup which was very good, much better we thought than Cafe Flore. My wife had a filet of sea bass done nicely which she enjoyed. i had the pork dish. We had wine form a selection of wine of the day board. My wife had the rice pudding, more of a rich rice patty, which she enjoyed but would not order again. She prefers a creamier pudding. Relatively inexpensive.