“If you like cucumber, you will love Bistro des Deux Theatres”

Bistro des Deux Theatres
Reserve with
Bistro des Deux Theatres is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,411 of 18,357 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Opera / Bourse
Description: At Bistro des Deux Theatres, you will find our all inclusive menu "Curtain" featuring a seasonal menu that changes regularly and offers French specialties and also more likely products.
Reviewed August 11, 2014

On arriving in Paris, my boyfriend and I promised ourselves that we would not make the dreaded mistake of falling into a tourist trap. So what do we do? Exactly that. (Twice I might add).

After a long day of sightseeing, our desperation to sit down and relieve our sore feet drove us into Bistro des Deux Theatres. On first inspection, the price seemed reasonable (for Paris anyway) at 41€ for the set menu. So we decided to take a "what's the worst that can happen" approach, and reluctantly walked in.

On entering, my boyfriend managed to catch the attention of a busy looking waiter, and asked him if there were any available tables. His response - "we only have a table for your girlfriend. There is no more space for men" We should have walked out there and then. But no, we laughed politely at his crassness as he showed us to a table by the window.

We both opted for the set menu, primarily because everything on the main menu appeared on the set menu anyway, but at a reduced price.

An apéritif was brought to our table shortly after ordering. No sooner had it reached the table that a different and very manic looking waiter (the bistro really wasn't that busy) then proceeded to knock my partner's "Kir Royale" over everywhere. I do not recall an apology or even a replacement, but instead the waiter scurried off and returned 2 minutes later with the already uncorked wine. He plonked it on the table - 'plonk' being the operative word as I'm sure the wine we had ordered and the wine we'd been served were two very different things, and off again he scurried.

Not a good start by any stretch of the imagination.

However we persevered, mainly due to starvation at this point. The starter turned up. I ordered an artichoke, salmon and poached egg, for want of a better word, concoction. In fact the most abundant ingredient in this dish was cucumber. The slither of salmon was almost non existent, the artichoke was tough, and the egg cooked to within an inch of it's life, all on a bed of cucumber and for what I can only describe as hard yogurt.

My partner ordered the escargot, which in all fairness, were palatable. But really how hard is it to mess that up. Anything drench in butter and garlic is going to taste good.

Onto the main course. I ordered the scallop risotto. Calling that risotto is an insult to all Italians. You might say, and I would agree with you, why would you order an Italian dish in France. Well believe me, I have learnt my lesson. Once again, cucumber was abundantly present. The rice was certainly not Arborio rice, or any other risotto rice for that matter. All I can tell you is it was crispy. And it swam atop a deep pool of yellow vegetable oil. Balanced on top were 4, very tough, very chewy scallops, with of course, the cucumber.

My partner ordered the steak tartare which he was relatively happy with it. I believe in the back of his mind, he was awaiting the onset of food poisoning, but luckily it never came.

Now for the final course, the dessert.

My praline millefeuille arrived, and much to my surprise, not a shred of cucumber to be seen. Even more surprising was, I actually enjoyed my final course. A new and much calmer waiter had taken over our table, and what had started out as a shambles of a culinary experience, actually turned out to be a pleasant one. My partner had the creme brulee, which was once again 'acceptable'.

Perhaps it was the wine on an empty stomach, but we actually paid the full bill, and left relatively satisfied.

Having said that - we will definitely not be repaying Bistro des Deux Theatres another visit, and we urge you to do the same.

Finally, would like to shout out to the couple sat next to us - it was lovely to meet you, and we hope you found a restaurant that managed not to spill booze all over your bags. If you are ever in Cambridge, drop us a line and we will give you some great places to eat!

2  Thank natjosh123

Reviewed August 11, 2014

The Bistro is set close to several Paris theatres in the 9th Arrondissement. It has an attractive exterior which beckons you in. The restaurant seemed busy every evening and has many Parisians going there for dinner along with the tourists. We made sure we got there when it opened at 7pm as soon after the place was full. The interior is pleasant and is able to seat a large number of customers compared to the much smaller restaurants in the same area. The staff speak good English. We chose the set menu option for 41 euros which comprises 3 courses, bottle of wine and an aperitif. The food was good and could not be faulted. Service was good, but no one waiter seemed to take responsibility for a table - this could be why the kitchen got my wife's main course wrong and she had to wait while her requested meal was produced.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

Recently visited this fabulous bistro. The food was wonderful and the staff were brilliant. It was so good we went back a second time. In a city that boasts such an array of cuisine we were very impressed with this place.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We had the menu for 41 € per person which included a starter, main course, dessert and half a bottle of wine per person. The selection was very good and there was something for every palate. Amongst us we had three different starters, three different main courses and two different desserts. All of it was very good and fresh. Being a group of four we would have been entitled to two bottles of wine but we only got one plus a bottle of sparkling water. We did not mention it to the waiter because we did not want to make a fuss but it would have been a nice gesture if they would have offered us something else instead or reduced the price.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

My wife and me decided to "give it a try", on our saturday evening walk back from Montmartre to the Opéra area. The weather was nice and the open windows offered an inviting look into what, at first sight, looked like a cosy restaurant. Unfortunately, the reality was quite different. As the small backpack that we’re carrying must have revealed that we are just silly tourists waiting to be ripped off, the staff immediately took on the fight. Before we had managed to have a look at the menu, we were brought 2 pinkish drinks (which we were told where "kirr royals" made, in my opinion, from the average night shop sparkling wine (which you uncork and then leave open in the sun for at least 2 full weeks) with a spoon of breakfast jam added)). When we uttered our surprise at this , uhm, surprising welcome drink, we were told that these drinks are part of the “set menu” – which I initially had no intention of ordering. When asked to bring us two “coupes” (of champagne) in stead of the unbearable “kirr royal” (adding that I would of course be paying for those extras) , we were brought two half-cold, half-warm drinks, with only one resemblance to champagne : the colour. Otherwise, it tasted like candy and there were no sparkles at all. They came at 9 EUR / glass. Meanwhile, one of the waiters had decided to shower my backpack and pour another “kirr royal” (destination : neighbouring table) all over it. A muttered apology followed.
We then hesitated between simply walking out (and pay for the drinks) or stay. As some other guests really seemed to enjoy themselves, we decided to persist and to “sit it out”. That turned out to be not a very wise decision. As we had “spontaneously” been enrolled into the set menu programme, we chose a starter and main dish from that menu : 12 Burgundy snails (with a promising “XL”) for my wife as a starter, and foie gras terrine with toast for me. To be followed by two “Aubrac beef” with a pepper sauce, medium rare please. As to the wine : the set menu gives you a choice between about 8 different bottles ; none of those listed seemed very familiar to me but when I informed the waiter of what kind of red wine we generally fancy (so that he could guide us towards something coming close), he just indicated that there was EITHER red wine OR white wine. So far for the professional advice. So I ordered the red 2011 Bordeaux which almost immediately came to (more accurate would be : was thrown onto) the table – bottle uncorked / opened (by who, when , where - all this remains a mistery up and until writing this review). My request to have a glass of sweet white wine with my foie gras (whereby I expressly indicated that obviously, I would pay for this as an extra) was met with rather total indifference – the promise from the waiter to have a look as to whether ‘they had something available’ was about all I got. No need to say that when the starter came, I had to do it with the red Bordeaux . A repeat of my earlier request triggered an icy smile from the maitre d’hôtel/head waiter, informing me that “unfortunately, after having looked everywhere” (I really don’t want to know where that exactly is) “la maison does not have any sweet white wine by the glass” – I didn’t bother insisting further. The food ? Let’s be quick : the terrine de foie gras was just acceptable ; the XL Burgundy snails, on the contrary, weren’t : they were extra small (rather than extra large), totally overcooked, dry and chewy. The “medium rare” steak that followed had one totally black and burned side, and one less black (and a bit less burned) side. This was more than we could bear, so in the middle of our meal, we asked for the bill, paid, and went to find another restaurant. Before we left, we engaged in an entertaining conversation with two nice people from Cambridge, UK (sitting next to us) – only to discover more niceties about (other dishes available in) the set menu. They seemed to agree with us : better avoid the set menu. Actually, my advice would be : better avoid this place alltogether.

2  Thank Frank6919