“Impressive bounty but some caveats”

Le Bar a Huitres Montparnasse
Reserve with
Le Bar a Huitres Montparnasse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,222 of 17,520 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Montparnasse
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We went as part of a business dinner with 5 people. I tried not to notice the prices but I had the sense it was quite expensive. But this enormous bounty of seafood arrived on two enormous platters, smoky from dry ice, which were planted on the table. There was something quite impressive in this presentation, as each platter had a huge range of lobsters, some huge, some small, some langoustines, a variety of oysters and other small shell fish. The platters were so large that when mounted on the table it was a bit hard to see the people on the other side. The food was good, but I cannot say it was great. The lobsters and oysters were enjoyable but not as fresh or delicious as I would have liked. My French colleagues were reasonably happy, though one of them, from Bretagne, thought the langoustines were a little suboptimal. The service was fine. Overall the restaurant was good but I cannot say it was really good or great, and it was fairly expensive, though that reflects the cost of seafood.

There are newer reviews for Le Bar a Huitres Montparnasse

Reviewed November 1, 2012

A really wonderful place to eat seafood - presentation amazing and ambience excellent. They do all the crustacean preparation outside. We ordered via iPads which was nice as you could see what your selection looked like. Unfortunately I didn't get what I ordered (ordered 18 oysters but got some seafood extravaganza which included oysters) but was so entertained by it that was adventurous and tried cockles and whelks and other things I'd never tried before. Sitting round the bar area gave a great view of the restaurant and all the fish/crustacean tanks inside too. The beverage options were great and dessert was completely decadent (you must try Darth Vader for dessert --- or my interpretation is chocolate heaven).

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Best, and most impressive, seafood we've ever had. We went for the Signature plate (159€), which includes 18 oysters, lobster, spider crab, lots of shrimp, mussels and snails etc (photo attached). We spent almost 3 hours in heaven accompanied by a fantastic bottle of Poully-Fuissé (Cru de Bourgogne, 56€) recommended by the waiter - best white I've tried. Deserts were good but not great. Service was kind and quick.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Food is very good but very expensive - menus on iPads are gimmicky and a bit pointless, especially as there are still people who don't know how to use one.

I went to this restaurant last week and my party spent almost 800 euros - we could have spent twice that amount but decided to leave after the main course, so it isn't cheap.

So you would think that at that price you would get decent service? Wrong! The staff were dreadfully rude.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We've been to this place a few times. One of their seafood platters is a must - in fact ours was called Le Must - yes pricey at €199, but that was more than enough for the 4 of us - 2 lobsters, 2 crabs and all the rest, and we were there over 3 hours. The waiters were friendly and all the other picky bits were included, an abundance of bread,chilli butter, pate and so on.