“The best restaurant in Paris is.......Danish!”

La Petite Sirene de Copenhague
Reserve with
La Petite Sirene de Copenhague is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #260 of 18,357 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Opera / Bourse
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Ok, there's not really one best restaurant in Paris, but if I've been there a month this trip and if I lived there permanently I go to La Petite Sirene every week.

We started with the best herring I've ever had. My Scandinavian dinner companion agreed it was the best she'd ever had too.

Her lobster salad was fresh and light - refreshing.

My scallops were very nice. But the star main course was the salmon à unilateral - cooked slowly on one side through sea salt, so that the top of the fish was incredibly tender. This fish literally melts in your mouth - you don't really have to chew it at all.

We hesitated about dessert - we've been to too many good restaurants lately and it's showing on our waistlines. In the end we shared a moelleux au chocolat and it was the best ever. Topped with delicious home-made ice-cream.

Peter the chef/owner is very attentive and charm itself.

The room is warm and cosy with a Scandinavian simplicity. My usual bug-bear – too much top-light – was a little bit in evidence, but the overall experience was so superlative from beginning to end that I couldn't bring myself to suggest to Peter that he turn the dimmer switch down just a little and let the candles on his tables do more of the lighting.

Dinner for two, with a glass of wine each, was around €130 which at this level of culinary perfection is a bargain.

Go!

1  Thank BLJ

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Just like the guy below, we tried Le Bistrot Lorette (based on T.A. reviews), but didn't get a table as it was was fully booked. Also (like the guy below!), we asked the gentleman there if he could recommend another restaurant and we got a flat 'no.'

We then walked up the road and stopped in LPSdC. The chef Peter was very welcoming, although I got the feeling this was more of a sales ploy. As the evening went on, I found Peter gave a very hard sell, constantly trying to 'up-sell'. That said, he did recommend we go for a 'menu' which was 38€ for three courses, which would have been far more reasonable.

We had two mains and half a bottle of wine and the bill came to 92€.
My wife's main was 39€, mine was 28€ and the half bottle of wine was 25€.

The food was great, but I thought it was overpriced.

Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Some places are so nice and welcoming that encourages you to write a review just right after the meal to try to catch all the enthusiasm.

Went to dinner with my wife -- young couple visiting Paris -- without reservations. First stop at "La Balançoire" and it was full (the waiter was very polite). We came down the street towards "Le Bistrot Lorette". It was also full and the owner was rude and sarcastic (avoid the place -- this deserves an especific review). Both restaurants well recommended by TA. A little far away from our hotel. So I didn't know the neighborhood too much.

I asked the sarcastic guy at "Le Bistrot Lorette" If we could recommend a place to dinner in the area and he made a mocking face. Well, in the same block we found "La Petite Sirene..." and it turned out a spectacular meal.

We chose the fixed price menu. 38 Euros for entree (delicious hareng manirés), plat (st. Sebastian and carrots), cheese (with seasoned plum) and desert.

But outstanding is really the service. You feel at home as soon you get in. The chef and owner Peter comes himself to greet and shake hands. Very nice attitude. Completely different the way we were treated in the last bistrot.

Chef came dish after dish at our table to get impressions with charming and warm conversation. Very nice guy! Not arrogant at all.

We not only recommend as well as we would definitely go again.

At the end, Peter gave us a gift. A book of Scandinavian dishes that he wrote. The picture in the cover is our entree.

Thank you Peter. You made it a very pleasant evening for us.

Edimar and Marcia from Brazil.

3  Thank Emargotto
Reviewed September 17, 2012

If you ever feel like having some really good fish while in Paris. Fell in love with the selection of herring (a starter) and the chef/ owner. The most welcoming and friendly atmosphere I have ever experienced in Paris.

1  Thank monikah145
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Great danish atmosphere, excellent quality and a very warm welcome from Peter. A bit pricy. If you do not want to go for the menu, it will be >50 euros (starter+main dish) per person without wine.