“A lovely birthday dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of La Mascotte

La Mascotte
Reserve with
La Mascotte is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #431 of 16,839 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Montmartre
Description: Montmartroise restaurant brasserie with oyster bed, tasting seafood platters, shellfish, fish, shellfish. Cup "Best Pot in 1999," wine producers
Exeter, United Kingdom
“A lovely birthday dinner”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We were recommended La Mascotte by the owner of the flat we rented in Montmartre, and it proved to be an excellent, if somewhat expensive, choice for a birthday dinner. There's a distinct buzz, the decor is in line with that of a traditional Parisian brasserie, plenty of space for diners, and first-class service. The food was delicious: I was tentative with my choice of Saucisse de Lyon as a starter, and roasted cod with confit fennel and polenta as a mains, but loved both. My husband's faux-filet was full-flavoured, tender beef, and he shared his starter of six garlicky snails with me, which we both enjoyed. My aperitif, a Kir Mascotte, was made almost entirely with 'sirop' to start with, but when this was pointed out, the waitress whisked it away and stood over the bartender, instructing him, and presenting me with a perfect second version. Service was very attentive and professional. The total bill,with drinks for 2 courses (husband) 3 courses (me) was about 114 Euros. More than we usually spend, but it was for a special occasion and the meal was a classy one. I would add to our landlady's recommendation.

• Visited February 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
“Specializing in shellfish, everything else is only so-so”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

La Mascotte is probably one of the premier restaurants in Paris if you love shellfish - oysters, shrimp, clams, crab, you name it, if it's a crustacean they'll serve it in an ice tower and you'll be floored by the freshness and quality. For everything else, though, the menu is a bit sub-par. Unless you are really wanting to go out of your way for incredible oysters, you'll be paying too much for only mediocre French dishes like coq au vin and steak frites.

Visited January 2013
Equanimity
“fabulous”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We went here on new Year's Day and were surprised by how quiet it was, although as we arrived at 8pm this is fairly early by French standards. This restaurant specialises in fish and seafood (which I can vouch for having eaten there before) but somehow we just weren't up for that this time, We both had other options - a salade mixte (me) and scrambled eggs with truffles (him), followed by veal (me) and chicken (him). All were absolutley perfect. The veal liver melted in the mouth (apologies to the anti-veal brigade). A well-chosen Sancerre washed it all down. With coffees, but no dessert (still feeling delicate after the night before!), it all came to £126, and worth every penny. Great service, delightful ambience, fab food. Job done.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Equanimity
“Great oysters&champagne but horrible/arrogant service”
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

We ended up here by accident waking down from Sacre Coeur-the fresh seafood attracted us as they were sold outside.

We have only one clear memory from this restaurant which makes me deeply disrecomnend the place - it's horribly rude and arrogant staff (worst on our 5 day Paris visit and wouldn't it have been for the longing for oysters we should actually have walked straight out the door).

The oysters were great but you can get that in other places in Paris without staff approaching you when you walk in as if they wish you never crossed their door step.

Improve or suggestion write 'only for locals-tourists not welcome' on the door!

Tampa, Florida
“Didn't even get to the "meal" part of the meal”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Even though I did not even have a bite of the food in this restaurant, my review is based on the terrible service, that caused me and my family to leave the restaurant before we could even order. I was looking for a seafood restaurant in Montmartre that seemed more local than the touristy restaurants that are all over the place. I came across a great review of La Mascotte and decided to give it a try. Even though the restaurant was not near being full, they gave us an uncomfortable table right next to the bar. They gave us the menus and we realized they were only in French, so when the waitress finally came to our table (which took what seemed like forever) I asked her if she or any other of the staff members spoke Spanish or English to help us out a little bit. She replied: "Do you speak French?" to which I obviously said no, which was followed by: "You come here and don't speak French and then expect us to speak English?" I was taken aback by her answer and proceeded to ask some questions about the menu, after which she started speaking exclusively in French. Needless to say, we left shortly after that. She obviously spoke English (enough to make her witty remarks) but did not want to help us out. In our entire trip to Paris, this was the only place where the staff fit the stereotype of the arrogant Parisian. People were incredibly friendly and helpful everywhere else but here it was as if they actually wanted us to leave. Mission Accomplished.

• Visited December 2012