“We visited this restaurant twice! So good!”
Review of La Gitane - CLOSED

La Gitane
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“We visited this restaurant twice! So good!”
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

The food is excellent and the staff is very gracious. Would go back in a minute! The only problem was the smoke that filtered in from the outdoor section. Delightful atmosphere and American friendly. Great salads and of course excellent wines. Reasonably priced.

Connecticut
“We keep going back!”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We always try to make a pilgrimage to La Gitane when in Paris, as I used to eat here when I lived in Paris in the early 1990s. The place never disappoints! The food is great (although I was sorry to miss the seasonal mussels), and the restaurant is clearly a neighborhood favorite and not a tourist destination. I had the" Entrecôte race Charolais (350g.) sauce béarnaise, frites maison et petite salade" for the main because I wanted to dip my frites in Dijon mustard in the French manner. The chocolate dessert was divine, but I'm not sure I agreed with the "Maitresse d'hotel" when she told me not to have ice cream with it. It was certainly rich enough to stand up to a dollop of glace vanille!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank MadameCoco
Mallacoota, Australia
“Great bistro food”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was not hungry the night we ate here so chose a simple steak and frites. It was tender and perfectly cooked. I was not able to eat it all and we were pleased to see the maitre'd question the waitress to make sure all was OK. It was more than OK, my partner had the duck which he found delicious. Well priced restaurant with very friendly service and good food. Recommended.

• Visited September 2012
Adelaide, Australia
“Busy street, busy restaurant”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Situated in a street with plenty of competitors, we chose La Gitane based on TripAdvisor reviews.

Arriving early (by French standards, anyway!) we didn't need a reservation, and the owner happily re-arranged some tables to give us room for four outside. It took a while to get things moving, as the staff were still setting up for evening service.

Typical French bistro food, steak frites, seafood, the usual suspects. Done well enough, although one of us had a tough steak. Wine list well balanced, good value.

Tried elsewhere on this restaurant strip the next night, similar menu and value, similar result.

• Visited September 2012
New York City, New York
“Local Parisian bistro, very good and fresh food”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The French food critics are describing La Gitane as a "good table". For 30 euros, you can taste very good French Bistro dishes based on the daily market, wonderful cod with tasty mashed potatoes, beef tartar, wild duck, scallops in season with charming appetizers like lentil salad, onion soup, terrine or an interesting artichoke carpaccio. Wine is good and at reasonable price. La Gitane has a "Maitre Restaurateur" label, it means that the ingredients are high quality and everything is cooked on premises. Attentive service and nice welcome.

• Visited June 2012