“I love this spot” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Closerie des Lilas

La Closerie des Lilas
Reserve with
La Closerie des Lilas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #608 of 16,717 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Seattle, Washington
“I love this spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

Two friends and I stopped by the charming garden area of the restaurant on a warm sunny afternoon in June three years ago. We had drinks and chatted with other patrons enjoying the ambiance of a spot noted for the affection that Ernest Hemingway had for it while writing "the Sun Also Rises." Last August, La Closerie des Lilas was the first stop I made when arriving in Paris from a Rhone River cruise. We whiled away an evening, again in the garden, with drinks and appetizers (which were excellent) and walked back to our hotel in the Montparnasse agreeing that this was among our favorites in Paris.

Several weeks ago, I took my granddaughter to La Closerie des Lilas for lunch during our week and a half visit to Paris. It was a perfect afternoon, of course in the garden. We had an excellent wine and the fish choice for lunch was amazing. It turned out to be an afternoon of people watching as the garden filled up with what appeared to be primarily local denizens, many of whom were known to the staff. I would go back tomorrow if it didn't involve a 14 hour plane ride.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Keenan J

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Intimate piano bar perfect for post-dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

If you're a nerd for Paris of the Jazz Age, you simply have to make a bee-line for Closerie des Lilas. We came here post-dinner and sat in the piano bar, which is full of wooden tables named after famous luminaries who frequented the bar (we sat at Man Ray's table). Naturally emulating Hemingway we had the driest gin martini in the place which set us back 16 Euro each but I regret nothing, it was absolutely delicious. As if the place didn't have enough atmosphere the musician on the grand piano was fantastic, stopping intermittently to take requests and to smoke. Next time I'm in Paris I'll be coming back here, hopefully for dinner.

• Visited August 2013
Harstad, Norway
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

The brasserie part of this fine restaurant totally delivers on quality to locals and tourists alike, in addition to its wonderful history. La Closerie des Lilas is a beautiful restaurant with great food which we enjoyed on the busy outside terrace. My wife had the Fraîcheur de tomates anciennes, crumble de pain perdu as starter and it was extraordinary. My rabbit in a tomato jelly was a good starter and my Entrecôte Argentine with bernaise and crispy fries even better. My wife had a good sword fish as main and an interesting pineapple carpaccio for dessert. My strawberry cheesecake with rhubarb sorbet was superb. In fact, my dessert and my wife's starter were both amongst the best we've had anywhere. After our meal we went inside to the piano bar for a couple of drinks to finish a wonderful evening in Paris.

san francisco
“Nice garden, go for a drink not food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

Compared to several other nearby bistro this place banks on its location and outdoor garden - both of which are great. Much more tourist heavy than other local spots, the service is more rushed and abrupt. The real issue is the food. Granted we had salads and pate at the brasserie, but the quality of the produce was well below what we had been enjoying in Paris all week long. Combined with the high price, I suggest other spots nearby for dinner and come here for drinks or dessert. The location and patio are very nice.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
nottingham, great britain
“worth it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

this restaurant was recommended by a friend and it didn't disappoint. we had checked the menu online before going so knew it was on the expensive side, but we both found the food to be up to the standard you would expect to pay that money for in central paris. the atmosphere was lovely, with the live pianist in the background, and we were made to feel welcome.

our mains were both delicious (veal and fish) but the highlight was the cheese trolley! after our main course the cheese waiter arrived with an array of at least 20 different cheeses. heaven :)

• Visited June 2014