“Hidden Away But A Must!”
Review of L'Enchotte

L'Enchotte
Ranked #2,515 of 17,292 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Chateau d'Eau / Gare du Nord
The Woods
“Hidden Away But A Must!”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Like others, I found this little gem by accident when in Paris with friends on business. We now return on every vist (at least twice a year) and have never been dissapointed. The menue changes daily, illustrating how fresh the ingedients are, and the quality is good and prices very fair.
Down a side street, opposite the Marche San Quinten, it may not be the most elegant area of Paris but it is a bistro in the traditional mould and i have no hesitation in recomending it.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank WhistlingBear

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Hidden gem!”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We found this charming place completely by accident. If you're stopping anywhere near Gare de l'est you simply have to eat here. Wonderful decor and atmosphere. Very helpful staff and the food / wine were delicious. Make sure you have the cheese board!!!

• Visited October 2012
Gold Coast, QLD
“Authentic French”
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

A cute little restaurant to visit if you're staying around the area.

We loved the entrees but found the fish wrapped in prosciutto to be undercooked... A little disappointing.

Desserts were great.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Just believe...”
Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

I checked into my 3* hotel Parisiana and was moderately happy, all ok as Paris hotels go.

I ran a bath and checked Tripadviser for Restaurants near me. I was rather surprised but a little disappointed, truth be told, to find L'Enchotte just a few doors down from me. After all, I wanted to stroll around and see Paris.

Well I gave in. I hadn't worked up any perspiration though.

1st impressions- I felt like a post-impressionist entering a vintage bistro. Service tout en Français, can I handle this?
The wine list came 1st... I recognised 2-3 out of a pretty extensive list so I played safe with a Côte de Rhone... I was pleased when a nearby Frenchman copied me later.

The menu was displayed on a blackboard brought to the table: 3 courses €23, or 4 for 28, not bad.

Entrê a delightful sea bass fillet with bean-sprouts, I probably would not have ordered if I'd understood! Lovely nonetheless.

For main I chose the faux fillet (so at least I'd recognise something on my plate) and it was very good. It reminded me that the French do not go in for veggies with meat. A race after my own heart :) it was served with mashed potato and nil else.

I chose fromage rather than a pudding.. after all I'd ordered a bottle of red for one! I was in heaven. 6 cheeses, take as much as you wish. Well I majored on the chèvre plus a blue veined soft cheese and managed to sample 5 of 6, formidable!

My previous memories of Parisien cuisine had been tainted by poor quality stale bread and lamentable service... The bread issue should carry the death penalty in france, BUT this bread... Magnifique! Served with all courses too... when Monsieur took the bread basket away part-full after the entré I was miffed, then he brought it back pronto brimming with even more lovely, crisp, spongy, fresh pain ready for the main, mmmm!

Now get this- diner numbers, about 6 groups, maybe 15 people... Staff, 1 waiter. Attention- never less than 1st rate.. How does he do it? I left a very good tip. I understand it's a family bistro, it certainly had that very personal feel.

In short- believe the excellent reviews, you will enjoy. I'd happily return.

australia
“Great little place to eat”
Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

We took advice of other travelers and had an excellent meal, 2 mins walk from hotel. Really recommend it as a small, old style bistro with very good food, about 76 Euro per couple. Cheese platter was fabulous!