“Not just a wine bar but an excellent bistro”
Review of L'Ecluse

L'Ecluse
Ranked #3,339 of 17,155 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Odeon / Saint-Michel
“Not just a wine bar but an excellent bistro”
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Known for the wine, however the food and service are also great. French onion soup was delicious; served with bread and fresh grated cheese on the side to sprinkle and melt. Cafe and indoor seating.

wales 99
“fun, and tasty”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I have visited L'ecluse at place de la madeleine many times. I tried the av Francois 1er this time for Sunday lunch. It was very quiet, as it is in a business district, and weekdays would doubtless be busier. The menu is limited, and the cooking is never going to be fancy. My fillet steak was cooked to the right cuisson however, and loaded up with salt, the carpaccio was ok. What makes the experience is the fun of working through the winelist by the glass. We were well looked after by ga-ele ( don't know correct breton spelling), who gave good advice on some old bordeaux vintages worth sampling, and she was quite willing to serve a tasting sample so that the right decisions were made. We all had fun, even if some of the older vintages started racking up the bill- but what are sunday afternoons for?

• Visited August 2011
Miami Beach, Fl
“A real "find" on the Left Bank near Notre Dame”
Reviewed December 17, 2010

We wanted to find a casual wine bar and restaurant that we could go to prior to an evening concert at Notre Dame. It was such a find, that we would gladly return there again.

Here's what made it special: lots of atmosphere, friendly staff, excellent wine list, good food, small and intimate. We enjoyed the risotto, onion soup and salad with goat cheese.

3 Thank Journeyer
Bozeman, Montana
“Wonderful evening of food and wine”
Reviewed December 10, 2010

Earlier this week I spent a wonderful evening enjoying the food and wine at L'Ecluse on quai des Grand-Augustins. They have a wonderful selection of Bordeaux wines and offered many options for the wine lover. I chose a menu of four wines combined with a plate of four cheeses. Oh my. It was a delight. I have tried several wine venues in Paris and L'Ecluse is my favorite so far. I will certainly go back.

1 Thank MontanaVoyager
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent wine list; authentic Bordeaux dishes”
Reviewed October 19, 2010

We were staying in the Latin Quarter about 5 minutes walk from L'Ecluse and after 3 days getting sick of the cheap and cheerful 3 course menus in the surrounding laneways discovered this little gem. It had been recommended to us by a local for the foie gras. Food was simple but excellent but best of all you can get an excellent range of wines by the glass. I can recommend the grilled fillet of beef and the goose and duck dish. I prefer to try different restaurants when travelling, but my partner and I ate here 3 times in 4 days!

2 Thank sez5446