“Classic French bistro”

L'Auberge du Clou
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Opera / Bourse
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed in the Montmarte area and were wandering around when we found this restaurant. We decided to dine outdoors and had a wonderful meal! The onion soup was terrific - completely covered with cheesy crust and lots of onions and rich broth. The beef chuck was great - slow cooked and shredded. Nice wine list with excellent but inexpensive wines. Most of the staff members are bilingual and menu is also available in English. Do not miss this place if you are in the Montmarte area!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I was in Paris using a 1929 Guide Bleu. There are almost no restaurants which are mentioned in the guide and which still exist in Paris but this is one. I imagine that anyone suddenly transported from the 1920s to the current Avenue Trudaine, a short walk south east of Place Pigalle would recognise the Auberge du Clou, and possibly even the food it serves. Glorious onion soup with a complete seal formed by the cheesy crust, meltingly soft pork and puy lentils in a sweet grain mustard sauce, cheese from the Auvergne. Inexpensive wines can be had by the carafe and the wood and plaster interior , simple decorations and friendly bi-lingual staff make this a delight. If you don't like this place, you won't like Paris .

1  Thank LargelyMonk
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We had lunch twice as we are staying in an apartment nearby. Great service, English menus, classic French bistro. Very good steak tartare. Also a good hamburger was had by one. Wine is reasonable price.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

The two of us both chose the duck confit, and did not regret it. Excellent meal, good quality food at a reasonable price. Attentive, but not annoying, wait staff. We were made to feel welcome and were very well treated. Wouldn't hesitate to eat here again.

Reviewed March 21, 2012

We found this charming little restaruant one evening when walking from our hotel (Grand Hotel de Turin) toward Montmarte. It's located on a lovely, fairly quiet street and the atmosphere is warm and cozy. The staff are very friendly and although I've read some reviews that reported mediocre food, we liked it so much we ate there twice during our 5 day stay. If you are English speaking, don't worry, they can converse in French and English. When I asked if they would mind if I tried to speak French (because I needed the practice!), they were both gracious and patient as I did my best. We sat inside the first night and on our second visit we sat outside getting good service each time. I'm sorry that I can't remember exactly what we ordered because it's been several months since we were there but my son and I each ordered different meals and were both more than satisfied with the quality and the price. This was my son's first visit to Paris so he enjoyed asking questions whenever he could. The staff gathered around and cheerfully answered him and they all had some good laughs together. It really was a wonderful experience all the way around.

1  Thank Cyndi352