“A fantastic dining experience.”
Review of L'Astrance

L'Astrance
Ranked #715 of 17,770 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trocadero
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We went here for our first "big meal" of our Paris trip and were thrilled by the experience. We opted to have the wine pairings with the meal and think the wines were spectacular. Sure the meal is expensive, but people already know that going in...so I don't understand the people complaining about the price. The courses were absolutely delicious, the platings were gorgeous and the foods were very diverse to please all tastes. The food just kept coming!!!! My favorite was the Australian black truffles. O.M.G. Good. Would I go back? Yes, but only after making my rounds to others...Paris has so many fabulous ones...it's quite competitive. But I have nothing negative to say about L'Astrance. Oh...location....so close to the Eiffel Tower...gorgeous at night.

1  Thank johnj542

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Booked on the first Tuesday of June to secure a lunch time spot in July at this restaurant. All the dishes in our E120 5-course set menu were impeccably presented, well explained to us in English, and of course delicious. Service was always attentive with our glasses continually refilled. We dressed up a little (collared shirt and long pants) but there was no dress code - some wore jeans and t-shirt, while others came in suits. This was definitely a highlight of our holiday.

3  Thank Suti1
Reviewed July 27, 2013

While the starters and desserts were very creative and imaginative, we were disappointed with the main course (duck breast), which was well prepared, but not impressive.

As the waiters were far more interested in the table next to us, we felt underserved (the sommelier would tell us afterwards what wine he had served with our previous course). After we paid, nobody really cared anymore and we even had to let ourselves out.

All in all we left quite disappointed.

3  Thank Joepies
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had lunch in June.

Reservations are required. We called 6 weeks in advance. The phone was answered between 6:00-8:00 PM (Paris time). We confirmed our reservation the day prior.

The interior is on the formal side, with charcoal colored walls, yellow chairs, and white linen cloths. The restaurant is small and seats about 22 people on the street level and about 12 people on the upper level. The upstairs is a bit removed from the action of bringing out the dishes.

The fixed lunch menu is 70 euros (without wine).

There is no description of the dishes; it is all a surprise.

Our request for no red meat was graciously accommodated.

The presentation was beautiful. I took quick photos on my phone but, really, I wish I could have spent some time just photographing the dishes.

I found the dishes to challenge my sense of how food should taste (I have no training or experience in food preparation). The chili powder - as in the American bean and beef chili powder - was used in at least 3 dishes, one of which was a palate cleansing sorbet. And, jasmine, which I associate with fragrances, appeared as a froth on a tart, a brush on miniature Madeleines, and as an eggnog. This meal has made me rethink food.

I wish I could go back and have the meal again - but this time with an open mind!

The service is well orchestrated and formal but not without some sense of fun (we saw a fellow diner teasingly served a carton of yogurt on a silver tray).

Most diners at lunch were wearing jackets (men and women).

All dishes, when served, will be described in French; the server will translate to English if you desire (professionally done, of course).

Allow plenty of time.

2  Thank pricklypoppy
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Astrance is a high end dining experience with a no menu 7 course tasting menu. Wine chosen by the sommelier with each course is an additional option. The food was creative and delicious. Presentation is impeccable and the service is efficient friendly and unobtrusive. The night we visited included 3 seafood based courses( shrimp, Mackerel and turbot) as well as pork and duck. Appetizer and two desserts (both excellent) completed the meal. The wines were well chosen. All in a more then 3 hour extravaganza. Would check the price before going and leave up to the individual diner to decide if it is worth it.

2  Thank PFBBedford_NH