“Too Bad Michelin Doesn't Give 4 Stars”
Review of L'Astrance

L'Astrance
Ranked #538 of 17,515 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trocadero
Reviewed May 16, 2013

After a great deal of difficulty getting reservations to this small, jewel-box of a restaurant (about 25 seats), we finally arrived at the front door for what became by far the best 3-star dinner we have ever enjoyed. The maitre d' asks if there is anything you cannot eat (and we said no), and from there on, over the next 3.5 hours, we revelled in eating whatever it was the chef had decided for that evening. The only choice we had was whether we wanted the paired wines to accompany the courses, and we did. The meal was 8 courses with 4 wines plus one course with saki. Champagne to start, of course. We had fois gras layered between thin slices of mushrooms, with powdered ginger on top, two fish courses, one with savoy cabbage, one with tiny mushrooms in an eggy sauce; a course with langoustine with an Asian sauce that was almost like a BBQ sauce - very spicy, accompanied by saki; two meat dishes, one very young pork, and one very lightly sauteed duck breast. Various vegetable reductions, and other sauces we can't possibly remember or identify that rounded out each perfectly constructed course. We finished with 2 desserts - one a tart citron that was the lemony-est little tart we could ever imagine and the other a spicy sorbet that cleansed the palate and sent us on our way. Staff were so friendly and it really wasn't that formal. They explained everything and respected our wish to speak French - resorting to English only when we just couldn't "get it". A couple of words of caution: it is very expensive (330 euros each with paired wines), but worth every euro, and you really need to be a "foodie" who is adventuresome and open to new culinary delights. If you can't gulp and accept the cost, and if you are "picky" or only want your meat well done or don't like this or that, then you shouldn't go to dinner here. It would be lost on you and would be an affront to this genius chef.

3  Thank foodie78247
There are newer reviews for L'Astrance

Reviewed May 3, 2013

we Had a great lunch here - the lunch tasting menu was a good deal (for a once in a while special meal). As it was my first time in Paris, I felt it warranted one splurge!!!
We were welcomed and told to relax and enjoy the experience from the off, each course was beautifully presented and explained in a courteous manner.
An excellent restaurant well worthy of its reputation. The food was challenging, delicious and innovative.
Price...but what do you expect, it's PARIS, it's FANTASTIC food, it's a very high society fine dining kind of place, and hey it's 3 michelin stars so...

Reviewed May 2, 2013

You will never go wrong with this place. It's very intimate, and the people behind it are not the stereotypical French that the world knows. They are congenial, helpful, fun to chat with, and just damn good at what they do.

And the food? All I can say is... Wow. The way they have studied flavors and wine pairing is just mind boggling. The signature dishes and refreshing concepts make its 3 Michelin Stars and its consistent placement as part of the 50 Best Restaurants in the World highly justified.

I'd go back in a heartbeat.

1  Thank Ray R
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Wonderful dining experience, enjoyed my wife's birthday in this restaurant. The food was a education in good food the service impeccable and the staff were so helpful with the menu. I would recommend booking early to avoid disappointment. If your planning a trip to Paris then book your table, you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Paul_Connor-West
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I choose this restaurant as a bet that I had with my husband. He likes to eat well, so I had to pick the best. This restaurant is rated number 18 of S. Pellegrin World's 50 Best Restaurants, and has three Michelin stars. It does not have a web page and it was quite difficult to get a reservation. The menu is a surprise and it was a wonderful culinary journey. The food had an amazing presentation. It was art on plate. Every single flavor had its own reason, taking you into a trip to different kitchens of the world. Flavors of Brazil, Asia, France, dance into our mouth awakening memories and creating new ones. We ate for three hours and we enjoyed every single minute of it.
As I am a chef groupie, I wanted a picture with the chef, he came to our table and talked with us for a while. That was a really nice gesture.
The restaurant is expensive, but is Paris, they can get away with it.
I must say that it was an experience that I will never forget.

1  Thank VENES_13