“King of the Hill”

Neighborhood: Le Marais
Chestertown, Maryland
“King of the Hill”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is THE ULTIMATE fallafel shop anywhere. This one just happens to be in Paris. We missed out on this place last year, so we got there right at noon on Sunday and were seated in the side room... which soon was packed as was the rest of dining room... and the line for the take-a-way just kept getting longer. As just about every tourist and Parisian knows... the Marais district is practically the only one open on Sunday.

Believe everything you've ever read about this place. The food matches the energy inside and out. My wife had the standard fallafel especial... numerous fallafel and all the mixings crammed into a soft pita. I went with the fallafel plate and a Maccabees beer. My dozen or so fallafel balls were the best... and the accompaniments of hummous, red cabbage, white cabbage, etc... just added to the plate.

There are a couple of other fallafel shops nearby if you elect for a little less helter skelter. They're good, but this place really is the King.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, England
“Not that amazing I don't get the fuss”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I really don't know what the fuss is about. This place had a huge queue and o be honest the falafel was ok but nothing spectacular. The more worrying issue was that wife became quite sick the next day as a result of eating here.

I hate to stick to stingy stereotypes but the guy behind the counter gave us only 1 napkin per falafel and we had a baby. When I asked for a few more he gave me 1 extra napkin. Really?!

1 Thank zeeshm
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Great find!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I absolutely loved this place!
We were seated straight away, sevice was very quick. Staff were friendily and knew enough English to get by.
I'd recommend the special fallafel. We also had fries, a can of beer and glass of wine.
Never tasted fallafel this good! Will definitely be going back next time I am in Paris.

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Just like what you find in Northern Israel”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I lived on a Kibbutz north of Nahariya for a year, and ate Fallafel everywhere from next to the Jaffa Gate in Jerusalem to stands next to the beach at Gesher Agziv. My favorite was a stand manned by a bedoin family in the Acco Old City. L'As is the real thing - and almost as good as the Acco stand. Crunchy on the outside - soft and creamy in the inside - perfect toppings. Sit inside and order the fries and a Maccabe beer. Perfect lunch. Great neighborhood. I visit L'As every time I'm in Paris (I think this is my 4th trip to the restaurant). My only gripe is that the sandwich is now 8e. Seems a tad high, but I guess you get what you pay for.

1 Thank Simonandfamily
Canberra, Australia
“It's all true...the Fallafel is amazing!”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Some other reviewers didn't enjoy this place, however my partner and I loved it. Make sure you go there hungry, as the servings are quite big. We had the Pita Fallafel which is a pita bread pocket full of fallafel balls, grated carrot, red cabbage, hommus, tahini, cucumber, onion and beetroot. It is seriously delicious and an effort to get your mouth around!
You pay 9.50 Euro for that and a drink.
We also had a side order of hoummus and pita bread. It is very fresh and tasty. The service was quick and friendly (they speak enough English to get by with our bad French!) and the restaurant was pretty quiet, tables outside were full but inside no problem. This was about 4pm in the afternoon though, so I imagine it gets much busier.
All in all, it was a really great meal!