“Great Thanksgiving meal!”
Review of Joe Allen

Joe Allen
Reserve with
Joe Allen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,377 of 18,356 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Les Halles
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We were able to get a last minute reservation for the 10:00pm seating for thanksgiving dinner. When we arrived there was a long line of people waiting for the tables and we began to worry. Fortunately, the staff's attention towards us was great and you could tell they were trying to quickly accomodate everyone. While we waited, we grabbed a drink at the bar and hadn't even finished it when we were showed to our table on the terrace. I loved the little festive decorative details like the straw on the floor and the checkered placemats. The food was great; we got the baked ham with mashed potatoes and the turkey with candied yams. (Ended up combining both place to have a true thanksgiving experience.) The mashed potatoes were really good and we ended up getting an extra side order, their stuffing was excellent as well! The desserts were scrumptious and I must say the fudge brownie with vanilla ice cream was my favorite...This was a reminder of a homey thanksgiving dinner in Paris. Also, their location is great! If we ever spend another Thanksgiving day in Paris, we'll be back...and we'll also be back to try a regular meal as well!

1  Thank aim2trvl

Reviewed November 23, 2012

My wife and I are in Paris to see our daughter who is at the Sorbonne for the semester. We booked a table at Joe Allen's expecting terrible restaurant food for this oh so American holiday. We were pleasantly surprised when we got there. The room was not huge, it was filled with families and there was a buzz in the room but overall wasn't too noisy. We had a pleasant waiter and the menu, while short, was representative of Thanksgiving fare at home.

My daughter had polenta with mushrooms and she was happy. My wife and I had an enchilada (in Paris?) stuffed with squash and it was actually very good. Each of us had the turkey dinner, and the meat was both moist and flavorful. The stuffing was better average and the sweet potatoes were perfectly cooked.

My wife skipped dessert, by daughter had an apple crumble and I had a heated brownie with ice cream and chocolate sauce covering everything. Daughter liked the crumble. My ice cream had ice crystals embedded in it and the brownie was worth two bites.

A magician came by and did some sleight of hand tricks, which was fun. The meal was 45 euro per person and I really can't complain about that at all given the cost of things over here. If I ever celebrated Thanksgiving here again I would go back to Joe Allen's.

1  Thank nyredhawk
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

I must admit, we ate here first of all in January when we first moved to Paris and were seriously underwhelmed - however a friend recently twisted our arms to give Joe Allen a second try.

This time, the service was better (however they were far quieter than our last visit) and we had an ok and fairly friendly American waiter looking after us.

Food wise, well I'm surprised these burgers are compared to the great burgers of the US. The meat was cooked perfect and seemed very fresh but was nothing special and certainly lacked seasoning. Two of us ordered the €1.50 sides of fried onions to add to our burgers - realistically one portion would've done the three of us and the onions were sloppy, not crisp.

Burger was also somewhat smaller than expected.

I've given the place a try twice now, this time was mildly better but I certainly won't return for a third go. Also find it overpriced given what else is available locally.

If you want a good sized, really tasty burger try Le Penderie just out of Joe Allen and turn right. The burger I had there was one of the best I've ever eaten.

TIP: If you're visiting Paris, remember that ALL restaurants legally include service in the bill. Tips aren't necessary but it's customary to give 1-2 Euro to acknowledge good service. If you're just having a drink somewhere 50 centimes is normal.

1  Thank LiamJudge
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

We met a couple of friends here for drinks last night, and it turned into dinner. The service was quite friendly, and the cocktails were reasonably good, but when it came time for dinner. Yikes! Both my partner and my meals were just bad.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Paris is not cheap but this American restaurant is good value and is popular with discerning french diners as well as tourists. The bacon cheeseburger is divine .Burgers are made on the premises and not bought in.Chips could be crunchier .There is a wide choice and both steak and liver are good .On the wine list the bargain is the 2005 St Emilion for 35 euros , little more than you would pay in a shop for a great vintage.The Coppola red is very drinkable but nothing like such good value.
The only expensive item is the aperitif. Opposite the restaurant are 3 outdoor cafes in a line heading back towards Les Halles. All will serve you a glass of champagne early evening for 5 euros whilst a glass in Joe Allen is double.I would have a drink first and then buy wine to accompany my meal. The chocolate brownie with real vanilla ice-cream is luscious.

1  Thank DominicBathEngland