“Dining experience of a lifetime”
Review of Jacques Cagna - CLOSED

Jacques Cagna
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Odeon / Saint-Michel
Reviewed January 22, 2011

A curving staircase that lead to old world charm....large wooden beams and oil paintings created the ambiance.... food was incredible....cream of mushroom soup is divine......excellent foie grais....desert of assorted glaces....service was appropriate and we never felt rushed....very pricey

1  Thank Kytraveler4546

Reviewed September 30, 2010

Overall the experience is nice. I went in September 2010. Food is of high quality, though a bit too heavy and salty for my taste. Service is mediocre only and you see the usual French pride in the server. Restaurant is very dated. I like historic buidling but I think they should still give it a face lift. There were only 4 tables (including us) at the restaurant that night which was a sunday night. We had the gourmet menu for 95 euro per person plus wine and other extras. Overall it's a nice experience but it didn't wow me. I went to Atlas in the same area next day and it definitely is a lot better in terms of price/quality ratio. I would definitely try out other restaurants next time. But if you have never been and want to try the legendary Jacques Cagna it doesn't hurt to go. But for that price I think there are better ones out there

Reviewed June 2, 2010

My wife and I had dinner on 5/18/10. We went without reservations at around 7 PM but were still invited to dine. the staff spoke English and went out of their way to accomodate us. We had filet and lamb. The sommelier picked a nice red wine. The appetizers and breads were wonderful. We had the most fabulous soup I have ever tasted. The food was delicious. The desserts were beautiful. Great care and expertise are rendered to presentation and taste throughout the entire dining experience. The interior is filled with original Flemish art. The walls are a foot thick in this old section of Paris and heavy exposed beams adorn the ceiling. It is a bit expensive. Our meal was $308.00 after our check card converted to U.S. dollars. French cuisine at it's finest.

Reviewed May 31, 2010

You know how everyone says the French are snobs? Well we were there for a week and only met one such person, he was the wine waiter at Jacques Cagna. He was obviously offended that we chose our own bottle of wine without his help. Aside from him the rest of the staff were very nice. My steak was overcooked. I ordered it medium, which in Paris usually results in medium rare. It came out medium well, with some thinner parts well done. My wife had fish, which was good. For 2 main dishes and 1 (infamous) bottle of wine it cost $200 euros.

Reviewed April 11, 2010

What a dissapointment.

Firslty we were very surprised to see some prices on the ladies menu.

Afterwhile we had a more than medium service.
A new tradition is to serve your water and your wine either in your glass and in your table !
A new game of the waiters was to play with bottles to make noise.
The waiters had a good behave regarding your expectations (water, wine, bred, ...) but no such great.

The food were disapointing.
The snails were georgious.
Meanwhile, the pigeon, ris de veaux, duck and loamb had a doubble salt ratio. Innaceptable at this level.
To finish, fortunatly, the paris brest was more than excellent and the others deerts very good.

Anyway, while you see the quamity-price ratio you ar very disappointed and you wuold ask Mr Cagna to have a come back and make some order in his restaurant for his reputation !

To conclude I was not expecting that for a one star restaurant. Some work to be done there ....