“One of the best Parisian bistros, with an oriental flavour ...”
Review of Chez Omar

Chez Omar
Ranked #4,680 of 17,515 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night
Neighborhood: Le Marais
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Simply one of the coolest couscous in town. Family run business, does not take credit card or booking, so come before 8pm if you do want to eat without waiting as there are many potential customers. And there are reasons why: amazing couscous royal, amazing meat, a great crew, a fantastic spirit, and a nice crowd as well: try to get in during Fashion week and you will be stunned. All in one : a brilliant Paris place, for more than 10 years, and only 12 seats in the terrace . Run there !!!!

2  Thank FloranH
There are newer reviews for Chez Omar

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We tried this restaurant for our first evening's meal on a long weekend break and were pleasantly surprised at how good the food was.
We were into out tables in between a lot of the locals and the choices were limited but very tasty. the portions were very good and the service speedy.
It was nice to eat in a very old style café where simple but well cooked food was presented, and although a little pricey was still a good visit.

2  Thank paul826nas
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Excellent food quality, cous-cous is simply spectacular in this place. Good service as well and very charming location in a not-too-touristic area. A must for sure.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

It is not common for a restaurant to bring back childhood memories. Chez Omar did that to me and I am thankful for the reminder. I grew up in Algeria for 9 years. As a child, I remember eating "Couscous royal aux sept légumes" at least once a week. I remember begging my dad to take me to his boss' house so we could have the couscous. My mom used to worry that I like Algerian food more than Indian food (I am Indian).

I have been to Paris multiple times, yet never had a chance to eat at Chez Omar. I have heard of their Couscous royal aux sept légumes. I heard from friends that it is authentic Algerian. You don't have to ask me twice to eat at an Algerian restaurant.

I set off in search of the Royal couscous and my childhood....

From the service to the food, everything brought childhood memories back. I may have shed a tear or two after dining solo on my first night (I was waiting for the man and the in-laws to join me). I loved it so much that I returned with the family.

Sit outside, have a glass of house red wine, and enjoy your Royal Couscous. Have a chat with the friendly owner and wait staff. Nothing much needs to be said about Chez Omar.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We visited Chez Omar twice. It was the lamb and the veal liver that made us return, and the pepper steak proved equally good. However, the garniture is not that impressive. The cauliflower had been boiled far too much, and the pommes frites (chips) were not very exiting.
The service was OK and the waiters friendly and fairly helpful. You sit very close to some of the other guests, but that's part of the Paris experience.