“Great Food, Great Restaurant”
Review of Chez Marcel

Chez Marcel
Ranked #142 of 17,871 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Reviewed January 16, 2011

This small, local restaurant opposite Hotel Six was a fantastic place to eat. The dining room is small, with a limited menu, but everything we ate was cooked perfectly and tasted delicious. We had 3 courses, plus wine (a delicious Cote du Rhone) and the bill came to around 99 euros. There seemed to be many locals eating there too, which I always take as a good sign.

2  Thank oversees

Reviewed January 2, 2011

Based upon other Tripadvisor reviews, we tried Chez Marcel during Christmas week and it turned out to be the best and cheapest dinner we had in Paris. It was roughly 150 euros for dinner for four including appetizers, main entree, dessert and a bottle of wine. The food reminded us of French country cooking. You need reservations because this restaurant is very small. It only holds about 40 people and that's elbow-to-elbow with all of the other patrons.

1  Thank Vitidemi
Reviewed December 17, 2010

I went to this restaurant on my first night in Paris, staying in the Hotel le Six directly opposite. My first impression upon walking through the door was that the restaurant is tiny, with only room for perhaps up to 10 couples or small groups at a time. It seems quite popular, so it may be worthwhile reserving a table, although we didn't and had no problem.

The food itself was amazing, literally some of the best food I have ever eaten. I ordered a steak (medium) which was cooked to perfection - slightly unexpected as everyone says steaks in France are undercooked! My partner went for the duck with orange, and was equally impressed.

The service was also excellent, with the waiter happy to help translate the menu as neither of us speaks particularly good French.

It's not exactly cheap though, so expect a three course meal for 2, including wine or a couple of drinks to cost around 100 euros.

Overall, we were very impressed with this tiny restaurant and would definitely recommend it to anyone going to Paris.

1  Thank James A
Reviewed December 7, 2010

I have read the reviews and agree wth them. If you are in the Latin Quarter in Paris you must try to have lunch or dinner at Marcel. Prices are reasnable and the food is heaven...

Enjoy!

1  Thank NoamA
Reviewed October 24, 2010

We have eaten here 3 times during 2 visits to Paris. We found it one day during a walk while sightseeing. It's my favorite restaurant in Paris. Very quaint, tiny, good food, reasonable prices. The owner and waiter are very pleasant although not much English is spoken here. However, we managed with the menu and found it to be what we wanted - a real French restaurant in Paris.

1  Thank RaeNewJersey